Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Top 25 Fictional Ads From Sci-Fi Films

ns5

 

Over at the DenOfGeek, they've posted up an interesting list of the Top 25 Fictional Ads From Sci-fi Films and while their list does include some of my all time favorites like the Jaws ad from Back To The Future II, I can't help but question the validity of this list with the glaring omission of what is easily the greatest fictional Sci-fi ad of all time.

 

I am speaking, of course, of the Fruity Oaty Bar commercial from the movie Serenity.

 

It is hands down the strangest ad any of us has ever seen and it features one of the most annoying yet catchy theme songs we've ever heard.  In case you don't remember the ad, or have never seen the film, this is what I'm talking about.

 



 

How, dear god, is that not #1 on the DenOfGeek's list?  How is it not even mentioned on the list at all?  It's not even included in the bonus section of honorable mentions.  I swear, someone at DenOfGeek should have their geek credentials revoked for this horrendous omission.

 

I'm sure there are other great ads that are missing from the list too, but I was fully expecting to see the Fruity Oaty Bar ad at the top of the list and was shocked when I didn't see in included on the list at all.  It has little blue singing girls, and an octopus that pops out of a woman's cleavage, and a frustrated asian guy who seems sad he didn't buy a Fruity Oaty Bar.  And those are just the big things.  Watch the ad a few time and you'll see all sorts of other weirdness going on in the background too.

 

Shame on you DenOfGeek for making such a glaring error.  Overall, the list is actually rather good, but this glaring error should never have happened.

2 comments:

  1. that should definitly be at the top of the list.
    my fav. fake commercials sadly don't come from films so couldn't make the list but they are as follows:
    1) The Simpsons - The Mr. Sparkle ad.
    2) Futurama - Fry's dream ad about the crazy underwear.
    3) Venture Bros. - The PCA about testicular tortion.
    and of course my own fake commercial for Zombie Unit X!!!!! (as seen on facebook and myspace)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. Thanks...Star Wars quote t-shirts

    ReplyDelete