Friday, April 3, 2009

The GT Podcast: Episode 04 - The Geek Stereotype

geek-stereotypes

 

The fourth episode of the Geek-tastic podcast is online and ready to be listened to.

 

 

You can stream the podcast by clicking here.

 

OR

 

You can download a copy of the podcast by clicking here.

 

 

In this episode of the podcast, Matt, Ned and myself get into a rather interesting debate over my decision to boycott the TV show Heroes.  As you may recall, I wrote this article a little while back in which I ranted against that show's negative portrayal of comic book fans and by extension geeks in general.  Well, as we were getting ready to record a podcast about entirely different topics, Matt mentioned to me that last week's episode of Heroes was really good.  This got all three of us talking about Heroes and my decision to stop watching it and it just went on from there.

 

What came out of this though was a great conversation about geeks and their portrayal in popular culture medias like TV and movies.  The conversation starts off by being about heroes, but moves on into other areas as well such as the Watchmen's dismal performance at the box office.

 

In the second half of the show, Johann from the GeekRoundTable joins us and he, Ned and I discuss our thoughts about the series finale of Battlestar Galactica.  Be warned though, that conversation is spoiler filled and should only be listened to if you've already seen the final episode.

 

Here's some show notes:

 

This is the scene with Claire from Heroes that really started my whole boycott of the show.  Sadly, the geeks shown in the store who are staring at her are cut off right at the end of the clip, but I've gone ahead and taken some screen captures of them and you can see them here.  Be sure to pay close attention to the guy on the right:

  

comic-geek-1comic-geek-2comic-geek-3

 

To see the images in their full sizes, be sure to click on them.  And remember, this is how the folks over at Heroes portray their core fanbase on national television.

 

Feeling insulted yet?  I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment