Monday, April 13, 2009

Breaking News: The New Batwoman Actually Looks Like A Real Woman

 

batwoman1

 

To see this image in it's full size, click here.

 

Many thanks go to Rob Bricken over at ToplessRobot for pointing this out.  Last week, DC Comics revealed character design sketches for their brand new Batwoman Character, and I can't help but be pleasantly suprised at how good she looks.

 

I don't mean good as in attractive (although any woman in a Batsuit in instantly hot with the sole exception to this of course being Alicia Silverstone).  No, what I mean is that the design is amazing for many reasons.  Rob's article points out how sensible her shoe choice is and how great it is to finally see a female superhero who isn't running around fighting crime while wearing 6 inch heels.  But to me, what makes me happiest is that this Batwoman actually looks like a real woman.

 

She's not all freaked out porportionally.  She doesn't have giganticly oversized breasts on an almost paper thin waist.  Her measurements aren't 48"/12"/36" like a lot of the other female superheroes you may have seen before.  She looks like a regular person, and as a result her design is more realistic and also more likeable as she has a build similar to actual people I know in the real world.

 

On the right is her alter ego/secret identity as Kathy Kane.  She's got a bit of a cool punker vibe that I'm diggging, although the generic star tattoo on her back is a bit cliched.  Well, at least it's not a tramp stamp.  I'll give DC the benefit of the doubt on this one.

 

Overall, I think this is a big step forward for women in comics when such a high profile character as the modern day Batgirl isn't just a cookie cutter, hyper stylized caricature of what real women look like.  This Batwoman looks like she can kick some major ass, and I can't wait to see her do it.

 

Kudos DC.  Excellent job to everyone who worked on this design.

No comments:

Post a Comment