Friday, April 10, 2009

The State Is FINALLY Coming To DVD

state

 

Funk Yeah!!!

 

For those of you young people out there, and by young I mean under 25 or so, you have probably never heard of The State.  Let me explain.  The State were a sketch comedy group that had a TV show on MTV back in the early 1990's (1993 to 1995 to be specific).  It was memorable for the simple fact that it just so happened to be the god damned funniest sketch comedy show of all time. 

 

Seriously, only SNL in its early years with Bill Murray and Chevy Chase could top The State.  Every other show pales in comparison.

 

With great characters like Louie and Doug and Old Fashioned Guy, and great skits like $240 Worth Of Pudding or Taco Delivery or the Father and Son race, The State were consistently hilarious.  And since The State went off the air, the cast of the show have stayed incredibly busy working on other amazing shows like Viva Variety and Reno 911 (whose cast is made up mainly of former castmembers of The State).  They even made the incredible film Wet Hot American Summer.

 

Well finally, after almost 15 years off the air, The State is coming to DVD.  Thomas Lennon, one of the members of The State, recently told reporters while promoting his upcoming film 17 Again that The State would finally be released on DVD on July 14th.

 
"For real: Bastille Day. The whole g--damn thing. I have no idea why it's coming out on Bastille Day, but it's coming out on Bastille Day."

 

One of the main reasons the show took so long to be released were disputes over the rights to music that was used in a number of scenes.

 
"There was a lot of music clearance issues, and then, you know, it's a cult show," Lennon said. "The fans are die-hard, but there's not tons and tons of them."

 

Lennon also said that the set is packed with extras, but some episodes have been changed due to those music issues. "It comes with $249 worth of pudding," Lennon joked, referring to one of the series' skits. "It has the crappy music on it. All the music's been—if it wasn't cleared, we had to redo it. And a lot of scenes that were cut—for good reason. They suck. So it's got some incredibly sucky bonus materials, but it has commentaries on every single episode. I've seen the package, so it exists."

 

New music or not, I don't care. I'm just excited that I'll finally get to own The State on DVD.  And then I can watch my favorite comedy skit whenever I want.  It is, in my opinion, the single greatest comedy skit of all time.

 

Behold the glory that is . . . . . Porcupine Racetrack!

 


3 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing, I instantly had to go post the glorious news over at my website! hopefully I'll get to review it and get the holy bible of sketch comedy for free!

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, when I saw The State live a few months back, they ended by singing Porcupine Racetrack! It was magnificent!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I know you got to see Porcupine Racetrack live. It is something that I will be jealous of for the rest of my days. And while Kids In The Hall are admittedly super awesome, I'd have to say that my usual preference is for The State. Although, their movie Brain Candy is quite possibly one of the greatest things ever. Hmmmmm, you're right. It's a tough call.

    ReplyDelete