Monday, April 27, 2009

Now Fox Is Just Messing With Us

i-can-too-turn-left-copy

 

I think it's fairly safe to say that Fox Pictures are in full panic mode at this point.  They're freaking out that the early leaked version of Wolverine that hit the internet a few weeks back will have a major impact on ticket sales.  In a truly desperate move to get people to buy tickets to see the film, Fox is pulling out all the stops and have announced that the film will have multiple secret endings that can be seen at the end of the credits.

 

The endings will be randomly distributed to different theaters on different prints of the film. so if fans want to see all of the possible endings, the idea is that they'll have to go see the film multiple times, at multiple theaters, and randomly hope for the best that they chose the right theater with a different ending.  There's no word yet on how many different endings there will be.  The only thing known for sure is at least one of those endings will feature Deadpool.

 

This really does feel like a desperation move on Fox's part to boost ticket sales.  After the leak of the early cut of the film online, there's been a bunch of negative buzz generated that the film is less than stellar in quality.  Due to this Fox has been, understandably, freaking out.  I can't say that I blame them for doing something like this to generate possible retrun viewing.  In fact, as far as I can remember, a film hasn't come out with multiple randomized endings since the live-action movie of the boardgame Clue (which is one of my favorite films).  I'm totally for the idea of multiple endings, and I am always in favor of easter eggs included at the end of film credits.  However, if Fox doesn't honestly think that every single one of these endings will be pirated by people with video cameras in the theaters and be posted onto youtube or a dozen different other websites by no later than 10am Saturday morning, they're delusional.

 

I fully intend to pay for a ticket to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine this weekend.  I always do my best to support Superhero films in the theaters by giving them my money and seeing them legally.  If the film is even really good, I'll go see it twice, but the idea of going back to the film in a different theater just to possibly see a different ending is probably something I won't do if the film itself isn't worth it.  It's a good movie that really makes for high levels of repeat viewing, not little bonuses you throw in at the end of the credits.  I hope Fox knows that.

No comments:

Post a Comment