Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Today Is A Really Crappy Day For Spider-Man

jjj-is-mayor

 

Yeah, I know that most days are usually pretty crappy for Spider-man.  That is, afterall, sort of his thing.  But today's news even goes above the normal level of suckyness that is Peter Parker's life.  J. Jonah Jameson, publisher of the Daily Bugle and all around Spider-man hater, has just been elected as the Mayor of New York City in the Marvel Universe.

 

Now I know that when I usually post some bit of comic book news here on Geek-tastic, I generally do it so I can mock what a stupid thing the news item is.  I use it to point out that this is why I stopped reading comics, and I say something along the lines of "Comic writing has gotten so bad lately, it's painful to even read about anymore."

 

However, I'm not going to do that with this particular bit of news.  In fact, I'm going to praise this as an incredibly funny and potentially awesome story development in the Spider-man books.

 

The idea of "Jolly" Jonah Jameson as the Mayor of NYC is really funny in my opinion.  It's a great concept, and I can't wait to find out how he totally abuses his power to make Spider-man's life even more miserable than it already is.  What will Jameson do with his newfound power?  Will he ban masked vigilantism in the city, thus making Spidey a criminal who's on the run from the law?  Will he have special NYPD forces trained in the art of capturing superheroes just so they can hunt the webhead down?  Will he use taxpayer money to build some giant machine that negates Spider-man's wall crawling abilities?  Will he start charging him fines for every window he breaks or every building or city block that is destroyed during his battles?

 

The possibilities are endless.  I only hope that the writers get really creative with this and have a lot of fun with the idea of Jameson using his position to torture Spider-man.  This is just as good as when Lex Luthor was voted in as President of the US and Superman had to do what he said.  I love it when stuff like this happens. 

 

Kudos Marvel.  This is an excellent idea.  But that bit at the bottom of the pic about Aunt May's lovelife has me a little creeped out.  Ok, make that a lot creeped out.  I'm feeling nauseous now. 

 

And just how in the hell is the Vulture going to "debut" in the next issue?  The vulture, as both a character and a man, are ancient.  They've been around forever.  You can't have something "debut" that has been in your books for the last 30 or 40 years already.  It makes no sense.

 

(Via Topless Robot)

1 comment:

  1. while i certainly don't hate comics like you do (i buy about eight titles right now) i honestly think, in some cases, the writing is better than ever! i never thought i'd even be remotely interested in the Avengers, now I'm reading three Avenger titles!
    Spider-Man was a staple for me in high school but I bowed out when his parents showed up, I think spider-man has gone drastically down hill and lately with the whole Brand New Day thing... I'm just over it (although I'm glad he's an avenger so i can still get my well written spidey fix!)
    anyway, I think JJJ as mayor is an awesome idea. very much along the lines of Luther as president or Osborn running SHIELD (or HAMMER as it's now called). Frankly, it's such an obvious idea I'm surprised its taken this long for it to happen.

    ReplyDelete