Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Brian Austin Green Talks Sarah Connor Chronicles

derek

 

ComicBookResources posted up a great interview today with actor Brian Austin Green, who plays the character of Derek Reese on the TV show Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.  In the interview, Brian discusses the events that unfolded with his character in the last two episodes of the recently completed season two of the show (major spoiler warnings if you haven't watched the episodes yet) as well as the possibility of whether the show will get a season three and what that third season would entail.

 

Regarding the possible 3rd season, the actor says that he hasn't heard anything yet and that the cast and crew are still anxiously awaiting word, just like the fans are, of whether or not they'll be given the go ahead for one more season of robot fighting action.

 

My favorite part of the interview though came when Brian was asked about how he feels, being a sci-fi fan himself, that the fans of the Terminator franchise have for the most part responded positively to the creation of his character.  Here's his response:

 
Well, thank God they do. It could have gone either way, you know? Look, everybody knows that. It could have worked really well or not worked at all. I grew up loving “The Terminator” as a kid. When “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” came out, it was just one of the most incredible movies I had ever seen at that point. So for me, it was important. I understood that. I understand the fans in the sci-fi community. I understand their passion for what they grow up loving, watching and reading. I understand that if somebody is going to take that and recreate it in anyway, then they better do it the best fucking way they can.

 

I grew up loving “Star Wars.” That was my thing, “Star Wars” and “Battelstar Galactica” when I was a kid. But more so than “Battelstar” was “Star Wars,” it was just the most incredible franchise to me. You know, I was so excited when the new films were released. Then obviously, being an old school “Star Wars” fan, I was a bit disappointed by the way the new ones came together.

 

When I went into “Terminator,” I felt like I better fucking kick–ass with this character because he’s related to Kyle Reese. I know Kyle Reese is one of the most beloved characters in the franchise so I knew there was a lot riding on it.

 

It always makes me happy when I hear someone from a popular sci-fi show is also a fan of the franchise its based on.  It makes me feel at least slightly more secure that the show will do its best to do right by the fans, because that means that at least some of the people making it are fans too and they don't want to make a bad show either.

 

I'll admit to not having liked the character of Derek Reese when he first showed up.  I thought the sudden appearance of a never before heard of brother of Kyle Reese was a bit of a crappy plot device to add characters to the show.  Plus, he was being played by a guy who once starred on Beverly Hills 90210, so that was a double strike against the character.  Over the course of the two seasons the show has been on the air though, I've been totally won over to the character of Derek Reese.  That's due in large part to Brian Austin Green's amazing performance.

 

Derek Reese is a total badass.  He's lived through Judgement Day and is an experienced veteran of the resistence.  He's a soldier who is tough, no nonsense and is incredibly efficient.  He's actually become one of my favorite characters on the show.

 

I really hope Sarah Connor Chronicles gets picked up for a third season.  So much happened at the end of the second season that I'm just dying to know what happens next.  There are so many plotlines left open.  So many new story possibilities.  If Fox cancels this show, I'm going to be heartbroken.  They can cancel Dollhouse all they want and I won't care.  But please, please don't cancel Terminator.  It's the best show they have on the air right now.  If it goes away, I'll have no reason to watch Fox again anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment