Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mattman’s Weekly Batman Update

I have returned! Not that anyone cares or was holding their breath or anything but I am back if you like it or not. My last update was in December. The reason I stopped had everything to do with the chaos of the holidays. After quite some time away from the weekly updates themselves I found that I was really hating what I was reading. I know the idea was that I would read everything Batman, good or bad but the bad stuff was too horrible to read or really justify spending money on. So I just stopped.

 

Now here it is April and we are into the second week of the second month of the exciting new Batman storyline Battle for the Cowl. I know I have spoken out against gimmicks in the past and truthfully this storyline seemed lame to me when it was announced months ago, but I have to admit I'm excited now. I don't know what happened. I don't know how a story of "who will replace Batman?" ended up getting me excited, but it did. I think it was when I got a glimpse of the titles that will be shipping in June when the Battle for the Cowl wraps up and the Batman universe changes it's line-up.

 

A new Batman and Robin title will begin written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Frank Quitely. This title features a NEW BATMAN AND ROBIN! I can't wait! Who is the new Batman? Obviously Dick Grayson. Who else could it be? Who is the new Robin? Well, he looks like a little kid, so my guess is Dayman, Bruce Wayne's son. I can't stop thinking about this title. It has me eagerly anticipating new comics Wednesdays. I haven't given a shit about new comics Wednesdays in five or ten years.

 

Other titles include a Red Robin title. Who is Red Robin? My guess is Tim Drake. Red Robin will focus on the characters search for Bruce Wayne. You see he doesn't believe he is dead and to anyone that read the lame Final Crisis comics, we know that he isn't. He's trapped on a parallel earth or some shit like that. Good luck Red Robin! Detective Comics will focus on the new Batwoman character they introduced in comics a few years back that I have no knowledge of. Could be interesting. Gotham City Sirens is a series that focuses on Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Catwoman and other Gotham chicks. I like the idea especially since it' s written by the great Paul Dini. Another new title is Batman: Streets of Gotham also penned by the aforementioned Mr. Dini. Don't forget the title Batman itself because it will see the return of the awesomely talented writer Judd Winick to the title. He always penned exciting stuff on a monthly basis. Even if he is responsible for bringing Jason Todd back from the grave, I think I can forgive him because his action, dialogue, pacing, stories and such are fun.

 

But for now we are in the mist of the Battle for the cowl, the baby steps it takes to get to my June Batman titles glory. Actually Battle for the Cowl has been really fun. I'm enjoying it. I mean it's not fucking shakespeare or anything but I love it.

 

Batman: Battle for the Cowl 2(of3)

 

Written by Tony Daniel; Art by Tony Daniel and Sandu Florea; Covers by Tony Daniel

 

11452_400x6003

 

This is the second issue of only three! I love that it's only a three-part-er and not some over-done sweeping epic for no apparent reason whatsoever. This is simply an action piece and I love every minute of it. So apparently someone is masquerading around as Batman only he has a very dark-looking outfit with a face guard, guns and grenades. It becomes apparently obvious that this Batman is Jason Todd. So this Batman is killing people and Nightwing and Dayman are not happy. Jason Todd shoots Dayman, but I think he's gonna be alright. They have to exit to fix Dayman up. Meanwhile Two-Face, Penguin, Black Mask and more are battling for criminal control of Gotham. Another Batman shows up and it's apparent that it is Tim Drake dressed in a 80's-90's era Batman outfit. Tim and Jason do battle. Meanwhile Black Mask is blowing up half of Gotham including the Police Department. Dick Grayson finds out that Tim took one of the Batman outfits and is not happy about it. Also Alfred gives him more talk that suggests he should be the new Batman. Flash to the Battle between Tim and Jason. It gets pretty bloody and ends with a large Batarang stabbed in Tim's chest. But I think he'll be okay. Sound pretty awesome? That's because it is.

 

Tune in next week,

 

Same Matt-time

 

Same Matt-channel

 

Mattman

1 comment:

  1. Wow, a lot of action, and only a 3 part story? Doesn't sound too bad actually. It's always the multi-title summer crossovers where you have to spend hundreds of dollars and read a dozen different titles each month to get the whole story that always bothers me. That's one of the many reasons I stopped reading comics. But this story sounds pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete