Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wednesday Wes Rant

I'm not 100% health wise yet, so forgive me for another hastily thrown together Wednesday post from me. I promise a high quality rant next week. If not high quality at the very least something a little less obvious. In the wave of the late 90's early 00's there was a market for hastily produced super hero films. The shining example of which, for me at least, is Daredevil (not linked to Amazon on purpose, no one needs to buy this movie).

 



 

UGH. Just looking at that picture gives me an I-need-a-shower-someone-rubbed-a-glazed-donut-on-my-body-all-over feeling. Remember the scene in the park? Ben Afflek's terrible "I'm blind" face? ANY SCENE WITH COLIN FARRELL AT ALL?! Is your name Bullseye? I couldn't tell by the way you said your name more times than John McCain says maverick and the scar on your forehead. Just in case you missed it folks, he's Bullseye.

 

This is a clear case of don't judge a super hero by his poorly cast and hastily directed movie. Instead bop on down to your local comic book store or click your way over to Amazon and pick up this gem;

 



 

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear

 

Wonderfully illustrated by John Romita Jr (one of my favorite artists and all around nice guy) and written by Frank Miller in his prime. This is long before Miller descended into the giant hands and feet phase of art, and way way before everyone in his comics reffered to Batman as "the god damned Batman". This is two masters of the genre at their best. If Marvel had stuck with the tone and style of this comic, Daredevil could've gone on to be the blind Batman of their universe. Oh well. At least we still have Man Without Fear to read.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I actually sort of liked the Daredevil movie. Sure, it has it's problems (many of them to be honest). You are right, the scene in the park is god damned horrible, and Bullseye's characterization was annoying, but there was also the scene where he killed an old lady with a peanut, and a bartender with some paperclips. Those scenes were rad. And I really liked Michael Clarke Duncan as The Kingpin. I keep hoping he'll make a cameo in a Spider-man movie or something as The Kingpin. He's a perfect casting for the role.
    Did you see the R Rated Director's cut of the film? It's a lot better.
    I also just realized that Daredevil came out in 2003, the same year as Aang Lee's The Hulk. Man, 2003 seemed to be Marvel's year for crap films.

    ReplyDelete