Thursday, October 9, 2008

Robinson Crusoe On NBC? WTF!?!?!



 

Again, I must be totally slipping in my old age.  I somehow totally didn't even know this was getting made, and then I find out that not only was this made, but it premieres next Friday (October 17th) on NBC.

 

They've gone and made a big budget TV version of Robinson Crusoe.  For those of you unfamiliar with the story, Robinson Crusoe was a book written by Daniel Defoe in 1719.  It's about a man (I'll give you one guess what his name is) that winds up shipwrecked on a deserted island where he spends the next 28 years of his life.  There's only one problem though, the island isn't as deserted as you'd think.  During his time there, Mr. Crusoe encounters natives and pirates and all sorts of other stuff.  This was the original Lost.

 

And now NBC has gone and made what looks to be a fairly awesome version of the story for the small screen.  I'm sure this is because ABC has done so well with the aforementioned Lost, and pirate stories seem to be all the rage right now thanks to one Captain Jack Sparrow. 

 

Nevermind the reasons though, this looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.  It has sword fights, pirate ships, cool costumes, hot chicks in corsets, explosions.  What's not to like?  And then add the fact that it has Sam Neil and Sean Bean included with the cast, and the awesomeness capability of this project is through the friggin' roof.

 

Now all we need is an updated version of Treasure Island and I'll be happy.  And no, Disney's Treasure Planet does NOT count!

1 comment:

  1. I know! I caught this ad last week and my jaw dropped. Swashbuckling on TV! SOLD!
    Please God, don't let it suck; if it doesn't suck, please don't cancel it!

    ReplyDelete