Wednesday, October 15, 2008

R.I.P Circus Animal Cookies (1914-2008)



 

So long my tasty little friends. 

 

This is a sad day indeed.  Mother's Cookies, the company that makes those little pink and white circus animal cookies, has gone out of business.

 
The company’s financial failure forced it to suddenly shutter its baking and distribution operations on Friday, according to various news reports.

 

Plant workers were told the “cookies would no longer be made” as of today, Oct. 13. The cookie maker’s owner, Catterton Partners, cited rising food and fuel prices as the main reasons for filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. The company also makes Archway cookies.

 

I admit that I haven't actually eaten any circus animal cookies in a long time, but they were one of my favorite cookies growing up.  Having them disappear like this is akin to the Oreo suddenly stop being made.  It just makes no sense.

 

Tonight I shall go to the grocery story and will hopefully be able to buy a bag or two of the tasty little cookies.  Then I will go home and mourn the loss of a childhood favorite as I scarf down tasty lions and bears covered in frosting and sugar.

 

Excuse me while I go cry for a bit.

4 comments:

  1. One time, when I was a kid I poured a bunch of animal cookies in a bowl, and then added milk to make my own animal cookies cereal. I think most kids have tried this at one point. Needless to say, I couldn't finish it, and I'm fairly sure I felt ill for the better part of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO!! That means my Taffy cookies are gone too!!!
    DAmn you the Man who screwed over Mothers Cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chances are we'll see them again, it's a chapter 11 bankruptcy. It'll be timely and very costly but they'll be back. Once they streamline their expenditures, negotiate payment terms, and make all the attorneys involved rich we'll be eatting their cookies again. Love the taffy cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to stock up, but unfortunately the classic pink cookies have been replaced with the orange Halloween cookies right now. I can't believe this news. The frosted oatmeal cookies are gone, circus cookies are gone, I have officially lived past the point in which the world is a place of fun and wonder. How will my children explain to their children the pure joy of Circus Animal cookies? This is truly a sad, sad day.

    ReplyDelete