Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wednesday Wes Rant

Okay so I'm sick as a dog, but I told Pat I'd do this every week, and since he's been so generous as to keep his promise of several articles a day every weekday, it would just be plain rude of me not to hold up my end of the bargain. That being said I figured I'd go with the softball rant.

 

So everyone and their mother saw this amazing movie.

 



 

Now I'm sure everyone thinks I'm going to say "go read the "Dark Knight Returns" (which you should), but no way. If you want to see Batman earning his stripes and how he became the way he is today in comics and movies, then you should sit down to this meal of a book:

 



 

Batman: Year One

 

This book was introduced to me in the format of a Frank Miller hardbound collection along with a story where Batman fights an army of Santas and my all time favorite comic, The Dark Knight Returns. Unfortunately for me, a kid in my eighth grade class stole this book from me, and it would be YEARS before I got another copy of it. I remember as a child being blown out of seat reading this as I flew from North Carolina back to Southern California to live. It was more than a little life changing flight, let me tell you.

 

It was well known that during the writing and production of Batman Begins that Batman: Year One was the inspiriation. I even got the chance during the San Diego Comic Con to ask Frank Miller what he thought about Year One being their muse. Frank Miller was kind enough to respond with "I don't". God is Frank Miller scary.

 

You can pick up a copy on Amazon.com for less than ten dollars so theres really no excuse NOT to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment