Tuesday, November 25, 2008

New Geek DVD Day - 11/25/08

It's a bit of a slow Geek DVD week.  There's not a lot out this week to really get excited about, but I did notice one thing that deserves recognition, although not in a good way.  So for this week I've added a new fourth selection called The Lame to go along with the usual Good, Badass and Awesome titles I selected.  I'd also like to apologize for the "Good" selection.  It's not really a good film per se, but it is geeky and animated, and I had nothing else to choose to go there this week, so that's what we're stuck with.

 



 

The GoodSuperman - Doomsday

 

Why It's Good:  As I said above, it's not really a good film.  It's actually kind of a crappy film, but it is Superman, and it is animated.  So if you're a fan of either Superman or animated superhero shows in general, then you'll probably like it just fine.  But be warned it's kind of a crappy movie and you'd be better off buying something like Justice League: New Frontier if you haven't gotten it already.

 



 

The BadassHancock

 

Why It's Badass:  I'm a sucker for big budget Will Smith blockbuster films.  The man has a pretty good track record.  Independence Day, I Am Legend, Men In Black, I Robot, Bad Boys II (admit it, it's horribly awesome).  It really doesn't feel like summer to me unless there's some huge $100 million budget Will Smith movie in theaters.  This year's summer film was Hancock, the story of a drunken superhero who has to learn to shape himself up.  Will Smith playing a drunken sort of Superman?  I'm sold.

 



 

The AwesomeA Colbert Christmas - The Greatest Gift of All!

 

Why It's Awesome:  Now you may be asking yourself why this is even on a Geek DVD list.  You may be doubting this film's Geek cred.  Well let me put to rest any doubts you may have about that.  Aside from running his own amazing TV show, Stephen Colbert has a long list of geek credits to his work.  He was a regular member of the old show Strangers With Candy, he's been a voice actor on shows like Harvey Birdman:  Attorney At Law and the Venture Brothers, he has Captain America's shield which was given to him by Marvel's Editor in Chief Joe Quesada, he ordered a life-size statue of himself made out of LEGO's, and he's even run for president of the USA in the Marvel Comic Books.  The man has geek cred coming out his ears.  So a christmas special from him means you're guaranteed to have a goodly amount of geek thrown into it.

 



 

The LameIndiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Wrapped and Ready for Christmas

 

Why It's Lame:  Now don't get me wrong here, I'm not mocking the film itself by adding it to the list as part of The Lame.  Aside from the fridge getting nuked and Shia La Beef: King of The Apes, I have no real problems with this film.  It was fun, I had a good time seeing it, and sooner or later I'll eventually end up buying it so I can stick it next to the Indy Trilogy I already own.  Why I've included this as part of The Lame is because of this specific version of the DVD being "Wrapped and ready for Christmas". 

 

Really?  Are people so damned lazy that they can't even manage to wrap DVD's for Christmas now?  Is the laziness so bad that it now necessitates a completely separate DVD release that already comes pre-wrapped so you don't have to do any work whatsoever?  Wow, if this isn't a sure sign of the coming apocalypse, I don't know what is.  Please people, do me a favor here, go buy the regular version of the DVD and wrap them your-damned-selves!  Don't go buying this copy.  It could be the beginning of a very dangerous trend where all gifts in stores become pre-wrapped for our convenience.  Meanwhile, we'll just continually get fatter drinking egg nog while we laugh at the olden days where one had to actually wrap gifts themselves.

1 comment:

  1. Your feelings about the Indy film aside...I think the giftwrap thing is a brilliant idea. I HATE GIFT WRAPPING! And now I can just buy the damn thing and it's already wrapped? Sold. Hell, before I got married, I bought things that could be wrapped there or I just threw it in a bag and cited "environmentalism" as my reason for being so lazy. Now, if more places did this, Christmas wouldn't be so dreaded.

    ReplyDelete