Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The 5th of November...

So it would seem I'm slightly beaten to the punch, but once again, if you liked the movie you should really give the comic book a read.

 



 

V For Vendetta comes from the twisted wonderful mind of Alan Moore,  who's amazing works have been butchered by Hollywood time and time again, culminating most recently in the biggest travesty of them all (in my opinion), Watchmen. Moore has no love for film making in his skewed psyche because of the crimes committed against his works, I think most notable of which was The League of Extraordinary Gentleman. How it must have hurt him to be so betrayed by fellow funny talking bearded man Sean Connery. If there's anything that's supposed to be certain in this world, it's the loyalty of fellow crazy talking bearded men.

 

Here's a reference for Moore if you want to know how crazy he is, just look at him;

 



 

How can anything this guy writes NOT be awesome?! He looks like a Gandalf, Aragorn, Sauron, Gimli, and Legolas all rolled into one!

 



 

So as much as the nerd in me was excited to see Padme naked with a shaved head in the rain (which actually until that point had been pretty much exactly how my Amidala fantasies played out in my head), the movie really doesn't hold a candle to the book. I'm probably being overly critical this time, and this is something about myself I'm more than willing to admit, because of the movies semi-faithfulness to the comic book. Really there wasn't a lot of content that got axed in the translation, and the supplemental stuff wasn't as jarringly thrown in there as it is with most comic book movies. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Evey Hammond didn't fall madly in love with V, and they didn't run away together in the end forgetting about their revolution. As far as adaptations of comic books go, Moore has little to complain about here, and neither do I.

 

This doesn't mean it should replace the book itself though. Read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment