Monday, November 10, 2008

I Am Now Officially Nervous About The Captain America Movie



 

According to the Hollywood Reporter, Marvel has finally announced who will be directing the big Captain America: The First Avenger movie.  At the helm of the picture will be Joe Johnston.

 
Joe Johnston has inked a deal to direct "First Avenger: Captain America," Marvel Studios' take on its classic comic book character. Marvel's Kevin Feige is producing.

 

No writers are on board, but the studio, which is hearing pitches, expects to hire shortly.

 

Johnston first met with Marvel two years ago. When the two parties clicked, general talks turned into Captain America-specific meetings, with much of the project's current direction resulting from those early conversations.

 

I'm not sure how I feel about this news, to be honest.  One the one hand Joe Johnston has directed a few films I really liked such as The Rocketeer and Hidalgo, but he's also directed films like Honey, I Shrunk The Kids and The Pagemaster.  His resume isn't exactly stable, and he's never done a WWII movie before (which is what Captain America will be about).

 

I suppose I should give the guy the benefit of the doubt, after all he was an Art Director on the original Star Wars trilogy, and he's worked on Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.  Something about this makes me nervous though.  I'm not sure why.  I just really hope the Captain America movie doesn't suck.  Cap is the centerpiece of the Avengers, so if his movie tanks, you can pretty much guarantee that the Avengers movie is going to suck pretty badly.

 

Let's all pray that my worries are unfounded.

1 comment:

  1. C'mon. This is the guy who created Boba Fett. I guess The Wolfman will tell if he's got the chops.

    ReplyDelete