Monday, August 25, 2008

"Not So Average Guy" Review of The Clone Wars

Don’t let Pat fool you. He’s no “Average Guy.” When you go around with a nickname like 9 Ball, how do you expect to be “average?” For those of you who don’t know…well, we’ll be accepting applications for our friend fan club soon enough and then you’ll get the thick of it. So…yeah, I argue that he’s not really “average.” He approaches movies with some bias and knowledge, whether he argues it or not. If he really wants to be average, then he needs something to compare it by. He needs an “average yardstick,” so to speak.




 


Thus, I introduce myself officially to the world of Geek-Tastic: I am Robert. Hear my awesomeness. I know a hefty amount about film—the production, the history, the theory, the random (I’ve been known to change 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon to 6 Degrees of Kevin Smith because I needed a better challenge)—and I approach any movie on this site with an abundance of time spent in dark rooms watching images flicker across a wall. I’ve been known to sacrifice sleep, employment, even food in the name of cinema (never sex, though, I do have standards). I even have a degree from a prestigious university saying I know a lot about film; it looks really nice on my wall.




 


I know how to pick a film apart. More importantly, I know how to just sit and enjoy one, too. If it captures me, I’ll go along with it and have fun. I have a pretty low tolerance. Many have called me a film whore. I don’t deny it. But if it has problems, then I’ll pick it apart and tell you why.




 


And with that long introduction (did I mention verbose anywhere in there?) I bring to you my review for Star Wars: The Clone Wars.


 







 


I really enjoyed it. I had a great time and I find it very hard to be critical of anything in the movie. Or do I call it show? Technically, this is the first three episodes of the show, combined for theatrical release. I’ve read a few reviews and remember the prequels very well, thus I was ready for bad dialogue and cheesy story lines. What I got was something more enjoyable. I think that the negative press it’s received has fault more on the reviewers than the film: it’s meant as a kids TV show, thus some format things are going to be a bit different.




 


True, it doesn’t start with the typical 20th Century Fox fanfare that then explodes into John William’s score. That was cool. Unlike Pat, I didn’t have a problem with the narrator. Sure, the scroll would have been nice and tied it into the series more, but so many kids can’t really read that. And the narrator sounded like the old 1940s serial narrators from Captain Marvel or Buck Rogers. It was a quick, concise piece of background that immediately threw us into the middle of the action.




 


And I think it’s the action of this film/show that really satisfies me. We get to see the individual battles between the Droid Armies and the Clone Troopers. The action is intense, quickly paced and very satisfying. We get blaster battles that singe and we get Jedi’s wielding lightsabers with ultimate precision. Drawn immediately into the fray, I was getting excited and started to feel like that 8 year old who wanted to pick up a toy blaster and play with my friends. So far, these sequences are top notch and really set apart this series from the previous animated series and from the movies.




 


Perhaps it’s because the show is fully digital that the action was far improved over the prequels. Without worrying about blending CG with reality, the entire piece feels fluid and comfortable with its established pallet. I never felt like objects were not part of the environment on-screen. And maybe it’s because the characters showed little emotion through their wooden style that I appreciated the film more. I wasn’t expected depth or range from an animation; I expected it from the voice actors.




 


Hearing some of the talent from the films was a pleasant surprise. Typically, it’s challenging to get actors to lend their voices to the cartoon spin-offs. That is unless you have Samuel L. Jackson involved…he loves that stuff. So, it’s no surprise that he reprises Mace Windu. But Christopher Lee making a return was a very pleasant surprise. I could have sworn that Ewan MacGregor was doing Obi-Wan, but it’s James Arnold Taylor, and he does a fine job. Everyone else is perfect and I would even argue that I enjoyed this version of Anakin better than Hayden Christiansen’s version.





 


As for the relationship between Anakin and Ahsoka, I thought it worked well. They start bickering pretty quickly, but that’s a sign that they work well together. She’s just as impetous as he is, thus he’s less able to tolerate her actions. He has to face part of himself in training her. People can and do often slip into a quick banter like that upon meeting and I was happy that we didn’t have to wait for it to happen. Sure, she calls R2-D2 “Artooey” and Anakin “Sky Guy” but it didn’t grate on my skin. I was still so excited by the awesome stunt pieces and action sequences.


 





Now, a lot of people have had issue with Ziro the Hutt. I really don’t. So he’s a very effeminate Hutt, but doesn’t that make sense at some point? They asexually reproduce, so there’s go to be a Tennesee Williams version out there somewhere. It was nice to see some variation of the culture. And I disagree with Pat in terms of a useless plot line; what if this is re-visited in a future storyline? If not, then it made sense that someone on the inside would betray Jabba. It works.


 




Overall, I found myself halfway through the film saying to myself: “Wow. This is the way wanted to feel during Episode I!” I felt moved by the action, absorbed in the world; I felt like it flowed very well and was an interesting addition to the Star Wars universe. At no point did I feel like I needed to justify or reach to accept what was presented to me. It was a fun serial and made me want to pick up a lightsaber again. That's all I really wanted from the prequels and at times, it was difficult to feel that.


3 comments:

  1. It should be noted for the record that I did happen to see Clone Wars again over the weekend, and I enjoyed it much better the second time. Overall, my original review still stands, but I do agree with you on a number of points. The action scenes in the film were top notch and I really did enjoy watching this much more than Episode One.
    I do feel the show has a lot of potential, and I look forward to watching it as it progresses. Admittedly, the show is aimed at kids, but that is no excuse for poor writing. Just because something is for kids doesn't mean you have to dumb it down too much. It is easily possible to make intelligent and witty kids shows.


    I do however disagree with you on Ziro the Hutt. He is entirely unforgivable. Watching the film again, I really did notice how jarring his scenes were and how they changed the total feel of the film/episodes. Up to the point he is introduced you have a good action filled Star Wars film going on, but then the movie makes a sharp turn. The music changes to seedy jazz and the colors all become purple and neon. I understand this is what they were going for, but it really doesn't feel like it belongs in the rest of the film. It was as jarring as watching Obi-Wan visit a 50's diner in Episode 2. It just didn't feel like Star Wars anymore. It felt like a cheap insertion of american pop culture into what should be a sci-fi film.
    And as for the Hutts, yes they reproduce asexually, but that's still doesn't explain why he has a southern accent. Does Nal Hutta (the Hutt homeworld) have a deep south? Is he from the Hutt version of Georgia? It just doesn't make sense. I don't really have a problem with the character speaking english really, it's just the accent. Even visually I don't mind him too much. If he had any other voice I think I'd be at least marginally ok with him, but the inclusion of the voice was a truly poor creative decision in my opinion as it takes the viewer out of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't think it was bad writing. I think it was actually very good writing at its target audience. It didn't feel dumb. Though, I do agree they could have figured out something better than "Sky Guy." I would have preferred her to call him Ani and he hate that because he's grown out of it.
    I'm standing firm on Ziro. He was different and represents another part of the universe that has always been fun: gangsters. For me, it didn't feel like a jarring change in tempo and pacing; it was an interlude and storyline that coincided with the main plot. I liked the music in it; it was a fun reference to Jedi. Also, perhaps the downside of showing this in a theater, the pacing is made for TV. Maybe it didn't work for you in a 90 minute single sitting inside a theater; maybe it will work better for you when watching it as a weekly series.
    But I think Ziro represents a deeper issue, with you Pat. I think this is some latent racism. In the original trilogy, there were two accents used: California/American and British. Nothing really ever challenged that. In the prequels, Lucas expands it to include some Italian, Asian and other accents to make it more multi-cultural. Your argument over him having a Southern Accent can be applied to all the characters: why do they have the accents that they do? Ziro could have grown up somewhere different than Jabba and picked up that accent.
    Now, Ziro is North America South accent; more specifically, it's effeminate North American South. And you say this character is "unforgivable." So what you're really saying, Pat, is that you can neither allow nor "forgive" Lucas for using something against the norm, something a little different (maybe alternative, even). What you're really saying is that you can't accept homosexuals. Is that really what you want to say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take the middle ground in this debate. As a die hard Star Wars fan of over 30 years, I must say we have some of the most amazing theatrical experiences ever the Mos Eisly Cantine, the Battle of Hoth, Duel of the Fates(Qui-gon and Obi vs Maul, the destruction of the first Death Star, and my favorite climatic battle between Vader and Luke on Cloud City, as well as some of most pungent and horrible moments in the history of entertainment. Lets not forget the god awful Ewok movies and cartoon. The pathetic "Droids" cartoon, The Star Wars Holiday Special, Jar Jar Binks, most of episode 1, the Anakin/Padme relationship, and now Ziro the Hutt.
    Yes Ziro, I am looking at you and you fall into the latter category really towards the top. However Ziro didn't bother me for any other reason than his voice. WTF are Hutts speaking basic? Hutts by nature see themselves as the greatest beings of the galaxy and thus refuse to speak basic unless under the most dire of circumstances. One such example is from Shadows of the Empire when Prince Xizor and Jabba are talking. I understand that Ziro originally was made speaking Huttese like Jabba in the film/show, until Mr Lucas decided he wanted something else. What has happened to one of the greatest cinema minds of all time? He is losing it in his old age! What benefit does Ziro speaking Basic add to the film? It is completely contrary to everything we have been intsructed about Hutts. So George do me a favor and keep all Hutts speaking Huttese in the future.
    The rest of the film with the exception of a couple of cheesy nicknames was brilliant but I didn't feel that they were too over the top or ruined it by any means. I found the first 2/3 of the movie/show to be sensational and having a very high entertainment value. The scene with Obi and the Separatist Whipid General sitting in the middle of the battle field and taking refreshments was a classic Obi moment. I am pleased with the overall presentation and the battle scenes were some of the most spectacular ever, and the new Clone Captain is great. I really like Rex, and it was great to see Commander Cody as well.
    Well I am pressed for time, and will continue this later

    ReplyDelete