Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The reviews for Clone Wars are beginning to come in, and my fears are starting to mount

 



 

The first wave of reviews are starting to trickle in for the new Star Wars: Clone Wars movie, and the news isn't all that great.  Harry Knowles, the guy behind Aintitcool.com posted his review of the film up last night, and it was so scathingly bad that Lucasfilm forced him to take it down.

 

Having to force a popular movie reviewer to take down their movie review for fear of bad press starting up before the film opens is not a good sign.  Not a good sign at all.

 

Amongst Harry's list of complaints is sloppy camera work, a poor soundtrack, and two of the worst characters in Star Wars History.  The characters are both Hutts.  One is a little kid (called Stinky for god's sake) and a female Hutt name Ziro.  About the kid Hutt, Harry said:

 
"Then they introduced Baby Jabba aka Rotta the Huttlet aka Stinky. At the point of this character’s introduction – it officially became, the worst character in the history of STAR WARS. If you hate George Lucas cutsiepoo bullshit – oooooooh boy. You’re gonna have a field day of venting and hatred directed at this unbelievably fuckinging awful little shit."

 

This is exactly what I was worried about.  I loved the original Clone Wars series that was done by Genndy Tartakovsky (who also made Samurai Jack).  I loved it so much I still solidly believe that it was the greatest thing that came out of the entire Star Wars prequel experience.  It was better than the movies, better than the books, and better than the games.  It was what the prequels should have been.  So when a new full length series was announced, I was estatic.

 

However, I first became worried when I saw the trailer and I realized that the film was going to be about a kidnapped baby Hutt that Anakin had to find.  The plot just reeks of cheesy-ness. 

 

I don't know about you folks, but I'm starting to get worried we may have another Episode One on our hands here.  I'm going to do my best to stay positive and hope the film turns out ok, but in the wise words of Obi-Wan Kenobi, "We must be cautious."

No comments:

Post a Comment