Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Dark Knight is bigger than Star Wars



 

No, I'm not referring to last weekend's box office figures and that fact that the Dark Knight, in its fifth week of release, still managed to beat Star Wars: Clone Wars for the number two spot on its opening weekend.  Aside from that being funny to me, it holds no major significance.

 

What I'm talking about is the fact that in only five weeks time, the Dark Knight has now officially overtaken the original Star Wars as the second highest grossing domestic film of all time.

 

According to boxofficemojo.com, as of today the Dark Knight has taken in $475,343,000.  This drops Star Wars down to third place with it's total of $460,998,007. 

 

Of course, these figures don't account for inflation, in which case the highest grossing film of all time is Gone With The Wind and none of this really matters, but that's not the point.  The point is that there is now only one film standing between Dark Knight and the coveted #1 spot for highest grossing film ever.  Titanic.

 

Wel all know Titanic. We all hate Titanic.  We all want to see Titanic get it's sinking-ship ass handed to it by Batman, am I right?  Ok then people, let's make a pact right here, and right now.  Repeat after me:

 

I (state your name), do solemnly swear to go out and see the Dark Knight again. 

I will buy more tickets to see the film, I will get friends to go with me. 

I will continue to do this every weekend until such time as Titanic is no longer the #1 grossing film of all time. 

If I fail in this task, I willfully allow my fellow geeks to beat me to death with my own shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment