Thursday, January 22, 2009

To Boldly Go Where Barbie And Ken Have Gone Before



 

Oh good lord.  This is not what I wanted to see when I got up today.  Of course I should have expected something like this coming at some point.  With JJ Abram's new Star Trek movie coming out as one of this year's big summer event movies, it was only a matter of time I guess until we started seeing all of the merchandise tie-ins.  Both the good and the bad.

 

This one, sadly, falls under the category of bad.  Mattell has released information about a special new line of Star Trek Barbie dolls that they will be releasing in conjunction with the release of Abrams' new film this year.  Yes, you heard me right...Star Trek Barbie dolls.

 

What's really sad though is that as much as I want to make fun of these toys (which are nowhere near as cool as the classic Mego Star Trek Dolls), I can't help but admit that they have gotten the new Kirk's perfectly coiffed hair helmet down perfectly.  It's kind of scary in its accuracy really.

 

And while I feel ashamed to see such beloved Star Trek characters turned into girly collectible items, I will at least take heart in knowing that Captain Kirk will waste no time whatsoever in sleeping with Barbie and taking over her dream house.  He'll probably also steal her pink convertible and drive it off of a cliff just for fun.  Kirk seems to love doing stuff like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment