Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Most Amusingly Named Contest Ever

logos

 

TV and movie tie ins are nothing new, especially when it comes to popular franchises or big budget events.  And fast food tie ins are just as common as any other type of merchandising deal.  It's not uncommon at all to see McDonalds giving away Batman toys with the release of a new Batman TV show or film, or for Taco Bell to be selling Clone Wars kids packs.

 

However, every now and then the pairings of TV and fast food produces some rather strange or hilarious results.  Case in point, the new contest that KFC is putting on in conjunction with the Sci-fi Channel for their Battlestar Galactica TV show.  KFC is currently running a contest called the Frak Pak Sweepstakes in which 10 lucky winners can take home the following:

 

  • BSG DVD set

  • Framed photo of the BSG version of The Last Supper

  • BSG autographed script

  • Big Frakkin' Bag

  • Cylon Toaster

  • A year's worth of KFC chicken


 

Now I have no problem with KFC and Sci-fi working together to promote the best damn show on Television.  I that's that's totally fine.  What I do find absolutely astoundingly funny though is that it's fairly obvious that the people in the marketing division of KFC aren't big BSG fans and have never actually seen the show.  If they had ever actually taken the time to watch an episode, they would have realized that naming their contest the Frak Pak Sweepstakes is a very bad idea.

 

For those of you who have never seen Battlestar Galactica, let me explain.  In the BSG universe, Frak is a very common swear word.  It's used on the show to replace the word Fuck.  This enables the cast of the show to basically be cussing constantly without catching any flak from the censors.  Some examples of the use of the word Frak on the show would be to call someone "A motherfrakker" or to exclaim in a shocked voice "You've got to be frakking kidding me".

 

So for KFC to name their contest the Frak Pak Sweepstakes, they're really actually calling their contest the Fuck Pak Sweepstakes.  I can't help but that that's quite possibly the most awesome contest name I've ever heard.  If I'm wrong in my assessment that no one in the KFC marketing department has ever seen BSG, then the only other option is that they are knowingly calling their contest the Fuck Pak Sweepstakes, and that actually even makes the contest that much cooler.  I really hope they did this on purpose.

 

And yes, of course I signed up for the contest.  I wants me some of that kickass Battlestar swag.  If I win though, you guys can have all of the chicken.  While I like KFC and all, a year worth of their food would probably cause my heart to explode like a giant grease filled grenade, and I'd rather not die from chicken overdose.

 

(Via ToplessRobot)

No comments:

Post a Comment