Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Geek DVD Day - 01/13/09

 Wow, talk about a slow Geek DVD day.  There isn't much of anything out today that is really Geek-centric.  I've had to dreg the bottom of the barrel to bring you today's selections, so I'm sorry if what I present to you isn't exactly great stuff, or even especially geeky.  It's all there is though, and we have to make do with what we've got.

 

 

Tokyo Gore Police

 

The GoodTokyo Gore Police

 

Why It's Good:  I haven't seen this film.  I can't even say I've ever heard of it before today, but as I was going through the list of newly released films, the title and the cover caught my eye.  It's a hot chick in a skimpy outfit with a sword.  That'll always be enough to catch my attention.  And then the plot synopsis intruiged me even more.

 

"In the near future, the Tokyo Police Corporation is locked in a bloody war with the "engineers." These genetically modified super-criminals can bio-fuse their open wounds with weapons, turning self-mutilation into a combat form. Ruka, the daughter of the police chief's murdered right-hand man, is now the top engineer hunter. With cold-blooded efficiency she cuts through the psychotic engineers and tracks down their home base, a truly bizarre fetish club. Nothing keeps her from her sworn duty, even when she finds out the truth behind her father's death."

 

Genetically modified super-criminals? Dudes with weapons fused to their mutilated limbs?  A fetish club as a base of operations?  And a hot chick with a sword cutting through them with wild abandon?  I'm sold!  This is totally going on my Netflix queue as soon as I'm done writing this post.

 

 

Underworld & Underworld: Evolution (2pc)

 

The BadassUnderworld & Underworld Evolution Two Pack

 

Why It's Badass:  I know both of these films have been released on DVD before, but as a part of a tie-in for the upcoming release of the third Underworld film; Rise of the Lycans, the two previous films have been packaged together in one convenient case.  And at a low price of $14.99, that's a pretty good deal for two fairly decent vampire/werewolf films.  If you haven't picked up the films yet, this may be the best and cheapest way to do so.

 

Plus, it's about 4 hours worth of Kate Beckinsale in a skintight black leather outfit with a big zipper down the front that is usually pulled about halfway down.  I can't think of anyone who is really going to complain about that. 

 

 

Appaloosa

 

The AwesomeAppaloosa

 

Why It's Awesome:  While most people don't really consider a western film as geeky per se, this film about two guys who go around bringing the law to lawless towns in the old west has a fair share of geek cred to it.  First off, it stars Ed Harris (who has been in a ton of good geek films like Abyss, Creepshow, Stephen King's The Stand, The Truman Show, etc.) and Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn from Lord of the Rings). 

 

Secondly, it's a hell of a film.  It's beautifully shot, well paced and the writing is superb.  There's even one of the quickest gunfights I've ever seen in the film.  If you're a fan of westerns at all, this is a must see.  Even if you're not the biggest fan of the genre, I think there's enough goodness in here that you still may be able to enjoy it.  Viggo Mortensen's performance in the film is amazing.  I walked out of this film vastly entertained.

No comments:

Post a Comment