Monday, October 26, 2009

Nickelodeon Buys Everyone's Favorite Turtles

turtles

 

Wow, this wasn't something I expected to see . . . well . . . ever.  The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles have been sold to children's TV Network Nickelodeon.  Weird, I didn't even know the Turtles were for sale.

 
Nickelodeon, a division of Viacom, has acquired the global rights to the property from the Mirage Group and 4Kids Entertainment. Additionally, Nick's sister company Paramount will steer a new "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" feature to the bigscreen, planned for 2012. Scott Mednick ("300") is producing the pic.

 

The deal, which gives Nick the global intellectual property rights to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, cost $60 million. ...

 

Nick, which also acquired all merchandising rights to the Turtles, will begin developing a CG-animated TV series based on the Turtles, also slated to premiere in 2012. Nick will continue to work with its original and longstanding toy partner, Playmates Toys.

 

First off, who knew that the Turtles franchise was worth $60 million?  I certainly didn't.  Secondly, I can't really say that this is a bad thing.  I, like just about everyone else my age, grew up watching and reading about the Turtles.  I love the Turtles, so hearing that Nickelodeon (the same network that has brought us some amazing animated shows in the past like Avatar: The Last Airbender) is now in charge of the Turtles brand and is planning on doing a lot with it is definitely something I'd mark as a positive thing.  A new Movie?  A new CG Animated show?  Funk Yeah!!!

 

I'm going to be keeping a very open mind about this sale.  With any luck, Nickelodeon will pump out some really awesome new Turtles stuff, and the little kid in me will be very happy.  I can't wait to see what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment