Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dungeons & Dragons Online Is Free To Play

I really hope that guy is weilding a Hackmaster +12, otherwise he's royally screwed.

 

This is pretty damned sweet.  Dungeons & Dragons Online, basically the D&D version of World Of Warcraft, is a game that launched a few years ago.  Just like every other MMORPG (I'm assuming I don't have to define that here, we're all geeks and should know what that means) out there, there was a $15 monthly fee to play the game.  I'm a big fan of D&D, but I'm also a cheap bastard and refuse to pay $15 a month to play any game online.  I'm already paying my $5 a month for my Xbox Live Gold Account, that's enough online gaming for me.  I've always been intruiged by MMO's though and have wanted to play one, if only it wasn't for that damned fee.

 

Well, now's my chance . . . and yours too.  Somehow I missed this bit of news when it was announced, but as of last September, D&D Online is now a free MMO.  You can download the game for free from their website at www.DDO.com and can hop online and play it for free as well.  No monthly fees.

 

Of course, there is a bit of a catch.  The free account has some limited options in regards to content and available starting character classes and races and whatnot, but you now have the option of purchasing additional content above the base free level whenever you want to by visiting the DDO shop or by earning credits by playing the game itself.  There's still a monthly fee account you can opt into playing that comes with some major bonuses, but if you're like me and just want to give the game a try before you decide to spend any money on it, this is a good way to do it.

 

I created an account last night and got through the character creation process as well as the tutorial dungeon.  It totally feels like you're playing a 3.5 version of D&D.  The game even has a gamemaster kind of guy who will narrate what you're doing.  It's pretty sweet.  I'm still learning the basics, but I'll definitely be playing this game some more.

 

If you see a Rogue running around in the game by the name of Praedo Honoris, that'll be me.

2 comments: