Saturday, September 5, 2009

The "Google Doodle" Phenomenon

 

Unexplained Phenomenon

 

I'm sure you've seen it by now.  That cute little drawing wrapped around the letters G-O-O-G-L-E as you make your morning internet rounds.  Usually it brings a smile to my face and even sometimes reminds me of an event that I otherwise would have forgotten.  I'm ashamed to admit it: I knew it was Earth Day only because animals were lounging around a search engine logo.  Today I found out the official name for these unique and ever-changing pictures, "Google doodles."

 

And for the first time, I am also thinking about their potentional power.  They have served as both reminders and amusement for me in the past.  Consider my nerdy happiness when I woke up the morning of Comic Con, opened my browser, and saw this staring right back at me:

 

googleart09_jim

 

My first thought was, "geez.  Look how big Comic Con has become if it's noticed by Google."  But maybe the more significant observation is actually, "Look how big Google has become."  It not only references established holidays, but it also now picks up on pop culture.   Think of the advertising potential.

 

So what made me think of this?  To Google's credit, Google.  If you click on today's image, a UFO doodle, the top search result as of 10:15am is an article called, " Unexplained Phenomenon: A Mystery Created by Google?"  The author explores some of the serious possible ramifications of having a not-so-innocent Google doodle.  "As far as I know, the Google doodle thus far has primarily been used to bring attention to events such as holidays and the birthdays of famous people.  But what if the Google doodle were to be used for more commercial purposes? Would it be a source of controversy? Would it give an unfair advantage to those who could afford to pay for it?"

 

Now I'm wondering what goes on at Google?  Who is Google?  Will the personalities, tastes, and motivations of its creators stay the same?  Perhaps the "unexplained phenomenon" of the Google doodle itself will turn out to be some evil plot to destroy us all.  Hopefully, the great minds behind the Google curtain reveal themselves to be better than that.   More... more... well, free-thinking and at times, nerdy.  Here's to hoping.

 

Touched by His Noodly Appendage

No comments:

Post a Comment