Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Want To Learn Klingon?

Am I alone here in wishing to see Christopher Lloyd yell out "1.21 Gigawatts!!!" while dressed as a Klingon?

 

The excellent Public Radio show Studio 360 recently devoted a part of one episode of their show to discussing the fictional language of Klingon and why it was made in the first place.

 

You can find the episode in question here.

 
Why Yes, I Do Speak Klingon

 

Somehow the new Star Trek movie is managing to burn up the box office without a peep of Klingon — the made-up language of villainous space warriors. The linguist Arika Okrent is a certified Klingon speaker. In her new book In the Land of Invented Languages, she describes the lure of Klingon and why Earthlings have picked it up.

 

I've posted before about the fascinating lesson in linguistics that is the creation of the Klingon language, and I'm glad to be seeing something so unique getting coverage on Public Radio.  If you're at all interested in learning Klingon yourself (which is apparently very hard to do), then I highly suggest checking out the Klingon Language Institute.

 

Personally, I'm still waiting for someone to develop the Romulan language.  I've always thought they were more interesting than Klingons were.  I'll take a sophisticated race based on the Roman Empire over a bunch of Warrior thugs anytime.

 

(Via GeekDad)

No comments:

Post a Comment