Tuesday, May 26, 2009

New Geek DVD Day - 05/26/09

I'm really sorry for the lack of posts today.  Things at my normal day job (working as a freelance photographer for the Daily Bugle) have gotten really busy and chances are we'll be a little light on posts here for the next week or two.  I'll do what I can to still post at least one or two things a day, but I make no guarantees.

 

If you'd like more regular articles here, then I'm gladly accepting work as a full time blogger.  You'll have to hire me though and pay me enough to cover my bills and my cost of living.  My starting salary would be no less than $50,000 a year plus benefits and two weeks paid vacation.  Any takers?

 

Yeah, I thought not.  Oh well.  Anyways, let's get on to this week's DVD releases while I dream about one day actually getting paid to do this.

 

Saturday Morning Cartoons: 1970s Vol. 1

 

The GoodSaturday Morning Cartoons - 1970's - Volume 1

 

Why It's Good:  It's a two disc set featuring a bunch of episodes from popular 70's Saturday morning cartoon shows.  Included in the set are episodes from The Jetsons, The Batman & Tarzan Adventure Hour, Hong Kong Phooey, Goober and the Ghost Chasers, Yogi's Gang, Josie and the Pussycats, Scooby Doo and more.

 

There's also a set out featuring episodes from 1960's cartoon shows, but I was mainly raised on shows from the 70's, so that's what's getting listed here.  I'm sure the 60's shows are cool too, but I haven't seen most of them and thus cannot guarantee their coolness.

 

Land of the Lost: The Complete Series

 

The BadassLand of the Lost - The Complete Series

 

Why It's Badass:  Continuing on with the 1970's TV theme we apparently have going on today, we've got this set which features every episode from the original Land of the Lost series (and thankfully none of the crappy 90's remake series).

 

Once upon a time, some people were river rafting when they suddenly went over a waterfall and wound up in the Land of the Lost, where cheesy stop-motion Dinosaurs still roamed and evil lizard people called Sleestacks caused all sorts of problems.  For those who grew up on this series, it's a great bit of nostalgia.  And of course, this set has been released just in time to capitalize on the release of the brand new big budget movie remake of the show that hits theaters soon. 

 

Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus

 

The AwesomeMega Shark vs. Giant Octupus

 

Why It's Awesome:  Aside from having a movie title second only to "Snakes on a Plane" in regards to level of coolness , MS vs GO is one of those truly horrible yet amazingly hilarious giant monster movies that you usually only find on the Sci-fi channel around two in the afternoon on a Sunday.  The name really does say it all here, a mega massive sized shark takes on a giantic octopus in a battle to the death while a small group of puny humans run around all worried about the fate of the world.

 

If you doubt the incredibly high caliber of this film, just consider that it stars trule hollywood A-list talent like Lorenzo Lamas and 1980's teenage pop sensation Debbie Gibson (who apparently goes by Deborah now).  If that isn't a powerhouse combo of acting ability, I don't know what is. 

 

To truly understand the amazingness that is this film though, you have to check out this trailer.  Behold it and revel in its glory.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment