Monday, May 4, 2009

Today Is Star Wars Day? Wait, What?

When I was growing up, my older brother had a big version of this poster on the wall of his bedroom.  I clearly remember being freaked out at an early age that no matter where I stood in the room, it looked like Luke was pointing his blaster right at me.

 

Apparently, today (May 4th) has somehow come to be known as Star Wars Day.  Speaking as a lifelong Star Wars fan, I can honestly say I've never heard of the greatest movies of all time (the original trilogy) getting their own annual holiday, but everywhere I go online today, people are wishing me a happy Star Wars day!

 

Confused, I went to the source of all information on the internet, Wikipedia, and this is what I discovered.

 
May 4 is called Star Wars Day because of a pun or play on words based on the similarity between "May the 4th be with you" and "May the force be with you", a phrase often spoken in the Star Wars movies. In common usage the joke might be presented:

 

John Doe: Happy Star Wars Day!
Jane Doe: What?
John Doe: May the 4th be with you!

 

So there you have it.  Today is Star Wars day because of a really bad pun.  And you know what?  I'm totally cool with that. 

 

Happy Star Wars Day everyone.  May The 4th Be With You!

No comments:

Post a Comment