Friday, March 27, 2009

The Next Generation Crew Is Together Again



 

I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of Family Guy.  While I'll admit that they do some hilarious things sometimes, for the most part the show tends to use the same formulaic joke over and over where someone will say something along the lines of "Hey (insert character name), that reminds me of the time you (insert activity) with (insert celebrity or pop culture figure)." Followed by a cut/flashback to whatever it was that they were referring to.

 

Here's some examples I'm making up off the top of my head:

 

  • "Hey Peter, that reminds me of the time you went deep sea fishing with Gary Coleman." 


 

  • "Hey Lois, this reminds me of that time I played twister with the Spice Girls."


 

  • "Hey Stewie, this reminds me of that time we played basketball with Tattoo from Fantasy Island."


 

Get my point yet?  The show tends to be very repetitive and unoriginal, and I'd generally just rather watch South Park.

 

However, I must say that I am actually very excited about this weekend's episode of Family Guy.  This week's episode sees something truly historic happening.  For the first time since the show went off the air, the entire cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation are reuniting and will appear together (in animated form) for Family Guy.  And I mean everyone.  Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, Levar Burton, Michael Dorn, Marina Sirtis, Gates McFadden, Denise Crosby, and even everyone's favorite geek Wil Wheaton have all taken part in this and have recorded dialogue for the show.

 

Being the absolutely huge Star Trek Geek that I am, this has me super excited.  In fact, I'd even go so far as to say I'm almost giddy.  The above video is a preview of this week's episode, and if its any indication, then the rest of this show is going to be pure comic gold.

 

I'll hand it to the Family Guy staff, they did good with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment