Friday, March 6, 2009

The New Star Trek Trailer Is Too Awesome For Words



 

Generally I try to find some way to insert witty banter into each of my posts, but sometimes something so truly awesome comes around that I realize any lame attempts at humor that I try to inject into the post will only detract from what I'm trying to share.

 

This new trailer for Star Trek is one of those times.  There's so much cool stuff in this trailer, it almost makes my eyes bleed. 

 

However, I do have one small complaint for what I think may be a gaping plot hole.  In the trailer, Dr. McCoy says the ship has no captain and no first officer to replace him...therefore they have no one to command the ship.  That's when Kirk steps up and claims the chair.  I'm sorry, but as cool as that moment is, I can't help but stop to think about the USS Enterprise's rather questionable chain of command.  So there's a Captain and a first officer, but no members of command beneath them on the entire ship?  There's no third in command on board?  Or fourth or fifth or sixth?

 

I'm sorry, but Starfleet has a rather strict chain of command.  If you lose your Captain and first officer, there's ALWAYS someone to step up and take over.  So long as there are still two crewmen left alive aboard a ship, whomever is the more senior officer is then the defacto captain.  So how the hell does Kirk then take command of the ship?  Was he the first to call dibs on the Captain's chair?  Or are there some funky intergalactic rules for declaring interstellar "shotgun" that allowed him to take the chair?

 

I'm sure this will make more sense when I actually see the movie, but for now I'm slightly worried that Kirk's accension to command of a Starship may not make a lot of sense.  I'm keeping an open mind though, or at least I'm trying to.  The rest of the trailer blew my mind. 

 

Also, Captain Pike's speech to Kirk at the beginning of the trailer about what his father accomplished as the captain of a Starship?  Fucking awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment