Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I May Have A Reason To Continue Watching Dollhouse Afterall

alpha

 

Ok, so I've been a big fan of Joss Whedon's for years now.  I'm a huge fan of both the Buffy and Angel TV shows, and I am an even bigger fan of the most awesomest of Sci-fi shows to ever be cancelled after only one season...Firefly.  Hell, I even loved Dr. Horrible's Sing-a-long Blog. 

 

I'm telling you this so that you will understand it when I say that it pains me that I don't like his new show Dollhouse.  I've tried getting into the show, I really have.  But five episodes of mediocre to just plain bad TV later and I've lost all of the hype that I had built up in my head about the amazing prospects that were another Joss Whedon TV show.  The first two episodes I was ok with for the most part.  They weren't great, but most new shows take a few episodes to really find their groove.  Episode three though was so god awful that I literally had to force myself to keep watching it when every impusle in my brain was screaming at me to turn it off.  When TV is that bad, there's no excuses that can make up for it.  And the fact that it was a Joss Whedon made episode of TV just made it all that much more painful to watch.

 

Episodes 4 and 5 were better (thankfully), but I'd still mark them up as bland or only vaguely entertaining at best.  The show has yet to really grab me in any way.  There's nothing about it that I can say I really enjoy, or that makes me want to watch it week after week.  I think the show has potential, what with the Alpha storyline and I'd personally really love to know who created the Dollhouse and why its set up the way it is, but that's just me and thus far I haven't seen any major hints that the storyline is going to investigate that latter thought any time soon.  So with only the Alpha storyline to go on, I've begun to lose interest in the show and have been considering whether to keep watching each week, or to just wait for the DVD set when it comes out and watch them all at once if I hear enough good reviews from friends whose tastes I trust.

 

Recently though, some news has broken that has me interested enough to keep watching the show...at least for a little while.  Pictured above is a leaked photo of the show's main villain Alpha, and he's being played by none other than Alan Tudyk.

 

Fans of Firefly will remember Tudyk as Serenity's hawaiian shirt loving pilot Wash, who happened to be my favorite character on the show.  Alan Tudyk has also appeared in a ton of movies including a role as the Dread Pirate Steve in the film Dodgeball and as the robot Sonny in the film adaptation of I, Robot.  He's an amazing actor and he'll be a great addition to the show. 

 

Plus, he's playing a knife wielding psychopath with a fragmented brain that is resulting in severe multiple personality disorder.  It'll be an interesting role to take on, and I'd love to see how he approaches the character. 

 

Ok, so I'll give Dollhouse a second chance...for now.  But only because I like Alan Tudyk so much as an actor.  If his episodes end up being bad too, then this show is done for me.  Let's hope that doesn't happen though.

No comments:

Post a Comment