Friday, December 5, 2008

5 Lame Things In Star Wars Cannon

 

 

Ok, you know me.  I'm a huge Star Wars nerd.  Star Wars is by far and away my favorite movie of all time.  The original trilogy is like gospel to me.  My car alone has four separate Star Wars references either in or on it.  I have a LEGO Darth Vader and a LEGO Imperial Guard hanging inside the car, and on the back of the car I have stickers of a Stormtrooper head and the Imperial logo.

 

My bookshelf at home contains somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 or so Star Wars novels.  I also own an R2-D2 Robot and a replica of Mace Windu's lightsaber.  Hell, even when I bought a surround system for my place, the very first movie I had to play on it to test it was Star Wars.  Star Wars is and always will be my greatest geek love.

 

But that is NOT to say that I love everything that happens in the Star Wars Universe.  As a bitter and jaded nerd, I will pick apart that which I love above all others as easily as I will rip apart stupidity wherever I see it.  Star Wars is not immune to my wrath.  Just like I'll rant about the stupidness that is the storylines in Heroes, or the idiocracy that is the new Knight Rider TV show, I will also cry foul whenever I see anything that reeks of stupidity in the Star Wars universe.

 

This is why I find the above video so damned funny.  For a long time now have I argued that the Star Wars universe has gotten too detailed for its own damn good.  Fans even more devoted than I have demanded that every single character who ever graced the Star Wars films for even a tenth of a second must have fully fleshed out backgrounds and dramatic stories.  Lucasfilm has been all too happy to offer up comic books and novels to fans for 20 years now that have explained in excruciating detail the lives of every single creature in Jabba's palace (including the lizard that eats that other creature outside) as well as every patron of the Cantina on Mos Eisley and a thousand other non-important characters.

 

The result has been rampant crappiness.  Not every character you ever see needs to be important, but Star Wars fans have demanded back stories, and so back stories they got.  Convoluted, idiotic, and just plain silly stories have come out of this feverish need for more Star Wars.  The above video does an excellent job at pointing out five of the worst offending moments this has caused, but be warned, there are plenty of other examples out there if you ever start reading the books.

 

Sometimes, too much of a good thing can in fact be bad for you.  Even if that thing is Star Wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment