Thursday, July 30, 2009

Wes' Adventures At The San Diego Comic Con 2009

1

Hey all, this following report on the Comic Con was submitted to me earlier today by Geek-tastic contributor Wes Strawther.  This was his first year working at the convention in one of the panel rooms upstairs and he wanted to share his experiences working (and having fun) at the Convention.

Take it away Wes!!!

Tuesday Night



My girlfriend Amanda and I pack up. My friend Tracy gets her child out of bed to do a favor for me and I give her and her boyfriend one day passes to comic con and she literally cries.  At least I now have everything I'm going to need for the weekend.

Wednesday


We wake up, pack up the car and start heading to Temecula, Ca. to meet up with our friend's Matt and Lee. Once everything is squared away in Lee's car it's gas and to San Diego calling ou other friend Jesse the entire way to see if our hotel room had been taken care of.  It hadn't been, so we were worried beyond belief.  We park at Horton Plaza run to the Comic Con.  I pick up my Staff Badge and go inside to get the Hotel Help desk to help me.  Did they ever.  In spades.  I can't say enough good things about Hotel Help desk.  Back at Horton Plaza and off to the Holiday Inn on the Bay to settle in.  Back to the Con to get passes for Matt, Lee, and Amanda.  Amanda didn't print out her epic registration email so we end up wasting a good chunk of time trying to get her pass squared away.  Three line changes later (the final one being the line I put her in to begin with) everyone has their passes.  I was hungry but the popular vote was for a drink at the spaghetti factory so I kept quiet, not wanting to ruin anyone's time.

I had been a problem solver all day and I wasn't about to start making any more demands than the ONE I had, which was to see as much of the floor as possible.  It was imperative that I get onto the floor ASAP as it could (and would) be the only time I would get a chance to see the sales floor.  When my friends were walking at their own pace on the floor I threw a temper tantrum (I FULLY admit it was a temper tantrum, but COME ON, you gotta understand a little right?) and stormed off by myself.  I didn't have time for dilly dallying.  Matt, the greatest best friend a man could ever hope for, ditched them and Amanda, Matt and I managed to see all of the sales floor (minus the Hollywood booths which I could NOT care less about) BARELY before it was closed.  Then I had my programming department meeting where information was distributed to those poor souls who need instruction on basic Comic-Con grunt work.  Then it was back to the hotel to attempt to get a little sleep before my 8am meeting the next day.

Thursday


Up early, shower and walk the 1.5 miles to the Convention Center to get to my morning meeting.  I sit next to a really cool gal named Amy.  Amy comes up a lot in my story, which is why it's important.  I tell Dawn that my panel is in room 2 so she assigns me to it.  I show up at my room to meet Sally, the "gray shirt" of the room.  I was to shadow her all day to learn how someday I might get my own gray shirt.  Oh sexy gray shirt you will be mine.  This also makes me the first panelist to show up for Fan's Guide to Comic Con.  Amanda burst through the door bringing me several things I had forgotten just before Matt and Lee arrived, followed by Jesse and Ramona.  Now we had all we needed to start, and I'm going to sort of frame the rest panel to panel.

Fan's Guide To Comic-Con - Wow.  I would say "Could this have gone better?" but it kind of could have.  I mean we lost our projector for a good portion of the panel which caused us to panic a lot.  We frame it kind of like the Colbert Report's "The Word" so we kind of lean on our visuals to crutch us through the panel and keep people laughing.  Except they were still laughing JUST AS HARD without the pictures.  Jesse who has had snags in the past read his part so perfectly I wanted to stop the panel and kiss him.  Then when we finally got our projector back we cycled through the photos to catch up and kind of made comments about each.  Again, laughs just as hard.  Really blew me away.  Also I wouldn't know this till after watching panels in there all day . . . that was the most full that room probably got all weekend.  350 people packed in and standing against the walls, and they all cheered when we put up a bloody Vampire that proclaimed "Vampires DO NOT sparkle!".  I don't hate Twilight, but the reaction was awesome.  What can I say, I just like riling up a crowd.

Secret Origins of Comic-Con - This was the first panel I've ever "worked" (hahaha little would I know what that term really meant later in the weekend).  It was the founding fathers of comic-con getting together to discuss how it all started.  The highlight about this for me (amongst a collection of other awesome stories about trips to Mexico and the Acker-mansion), was that they were all high school nerd friends who got funded through the local comic retailer they all shopped at.  How is that for inspiring?

Comic-Con in the 70's - I've always known Jackie Estrada as that nice lady who makes all those guest subcommittee meeting suggestions for people they would like to invite to comic-con, but she's also been working for the con since it's earliest years and had some great stories about it.

Spotlight on Bill . . . I don't even care enough to spell his long last name out. I didn't enjoy myself.

Spotlight on Brian Herbert - Son of the author Frank Herbert who wrote Dune. He talked about Frank Herbert's life and answered my lifelong question about why F. Herbert never sued George Lucas for the MANY MANY MANY blatant thefts of intellectual property, and that was because he thought Star Wars was just too damn cool. He even started a club with some other authors that Lucas "borrowed" from called the "we're not going to sue Lucas club".

Spotlight on Richard Thompson - His cartoons are very funny.

Then I kinda ditched out early from a combination of boredom in my slow slow slow slow slow room and needing to get back to the hotel to eat and get back to the Convention for GeekRoundTable LIVE.

GeekRoundTable LIVE - There's a video, the sound quality blows, but I hear a rumor that a better version of the video is being edited together right now.  I hope that's true because I would hate to leave you with ONLY the video as your way of seeing what happened, but there was just too much funny for me to be able to sum it all up as a small part of a larger entry.  It needs at least it's own entry (though I wouldn't say no to a 12 part HBO miniseries).  The highlight for me is the 30 minutes Matt and I (I know Jesse had one also, if anyone else signed anything I didn't know, but I wouldn't be surprised) spent after the panel signing autographs, name placards, and taking photo's with the crowd.  If that's what celebs are bitching about constantly then I'll go ahead and switch jobs with you any day you're ready.  I could do that till I die and be perfectly content.

GeekRoundTable was scheduled for 7:30-8:30 but thanks to the overwhelming response from the audience (and the fact that no one was in the room after us) we ended up running closer to 9:30.  Matt and Lee went to the Trick-R-Treat screening, but we weren't super interested, and Lee and Matt are more into that genre than both of us together.  We split up so I could attempt to get some sleep before my 2nd 8am meeting the next day.  The kids who stopped us in the upstairs lobby to gush over us acted SHOCKED to learn Matt, Jesse, Pat and I were all from their hometown of Temecula (They couldn't fathom people like us ever coming out of their hometown).  I can't remember exactly when we got back to the hotel room, I just remember when I woke at 6am feeling like I had not gotten enough sleep.

Friday


Wake up at 6am, shower, grab Red Bulls and hoof it down the Comic Con.  As I'm walking through the front lobby carrying my morning caffeine, I hear someone quote a joke Matt had made about Red Bulls the night before at GRT LIVE.  My completely surreal night has now carried into the next day.  I get to my meeting and Amy says to Dawn, "We need Wes in 6BCF".  I get my volunteer shirt from the fulfillment room.  While I'm in there, the cast of Big Bang Theory is getting THEIR shirts.  I'm so excited to see if those guys wear them on the show.  I might jump up an cheer if they do!

Then I rush back to 6BCF to start helping out in my snazzy new Batman emblazoned volunteer shirt (oh gray shirt, you will be mine).  Amy and I are hitting it off really well as I'm following her around trying to keep my sleep deprived head straight so I can remember the ten million little things.  Amy and I quickly become besties.  Between her, Tommy, Galina, Amanda, Matt and Lee my solid Comic-Con krew is together.  Really, Amy kept me sane all weekend and together we kept Tommy sane, and it's good for Amanda, Matt and Lee to have access to the 3rd largest room at comic con via us.  I don't know if anyone disagrees, but I had so much fun.  I think it worked out well.

Farscape 10th Anniversary - I've never watched this show, but I really feel like I have to now.  Jim Henson Corp. working on special effects and from the scenes I saw a heavy influential hand on Sci-Fi shows that came after it gives it all the cred it needs to be checked out.

The Prisoner - Ned lamented the night before about this remake of a old TV series, but if what I saw is anything to go on (and I saw a TON) this remake is going to blow the original straight out of the water.  I mean Magneto is playing 2.  When a knighted actor is on the project, chances are you should probably shut-up till you actually see the footage.

Spartacus - Thanks! 300 was just a big enough bore that I felt that it should be drawn out into a terrible over violent television series inaccurate to both history and any actual legends about the man himself.  The highlight of this panel was seeing Lucy Lawless, in all her 6'6" (and wearing heels) glory. Even when she was looking at the attendee like fools for asking if a Xena cast member was going to show up in Spartacus all I could do was hum the national anthem in my head.

Marvel's Cup-O-Joe Panel - I missed this panel because I was standing in the hallway awaiting the sight of Neil Gaimen to rush him directly to the stage, but alas he never showed up for this panel.

Eureka - I don't know anything about this show, it looks funny.  If I watched more TV I'd probably give it a watch.  Evidently it's about some kind of genius commune city in Oregon?  I dunno, I was too busy running around or giggling with Amy in a quiet corner to pay attention to what they were saying.

Marvel Animation - Since they didn't seem to have more mature features coming out they wanted to talk about their Tiny Titans style show with mini marvel characters.  I think this was more hiding and giggling with Amy.

DC Universe Animated - The only thing I remember is Bruce Timm and Kevin Conroy being there, because they were the only ones I cared about. Now THAT is Batman, when Bruce Timm and Kevin Conroy get together, they really make magic.

11

I ran out of that and Amanda was awesome enough to get all the things I needed for my friend's mock wedding ceremony (though Amanda's tears about it were VERY real). Matt and I dressed as Jedi's we had several members of the 501st making a path for the lovely couple.  Matt and I started everyone singing the ceremonial theme from Star Wars.

21

I finally got to live out a dream about con I've had since high school . . . drinking beer shirtless at the convention center. LIVING THE DREAM.  My lightsaber didn't have batteries but I solved that simply by walking into a Magic the Gathering Tournament and asking/yelling for some.  This being Comic-Con people were willing to help.  After the ceremony we headed back to the restaurant at our hotel for some reception drinking.  Then as the group started to fall a part, Amanda and I fled into the city to La Puerta to meet up with Tommy, Amy and who the hell cares about anyone else!  Bah, I remember so little about that night.  I do remember that I went to bed at 3:30 am and woke up at 6am.  I also remember that I missed the Klingon Lifestyles Presentation (where people were asking for me by name) and the Star Wars Fan Film Awards, my TWO MOST FAVORITE THINGS AT COMIC CON.  FML.  I love you Jesse and Ramona.  Now if I could get Ramona to stop telling me about how much she GOT to see running around working for events my bitterness would subside a little.

Saturday


OH MY EVER LOVING JESUS, this was the point where I thought "you're not going to make it Wes".  As I was tip toeing over Charlie (who I called Chuck) I almost vomited right on his big sleeping snoring head.  Which after losing much sleep, Matt probably would have cheered about.  It's all good Charles, I got no hate for ya!  Red Bulls and a cab ride to the Comic Con and I was at my 8am meeting.  Amy and I begged and pleaded for me to make my way back to 6BCF, but it didn't take much.  As Amy was about to suggest to Dawn that I get a gray shirt (could it be true?) Dawn say's, "WES GO GRAB A POLO".  SCORE!  Not only is Dawn the sweetest best office manager ever, she's even psychic! They asked if I wanted a walkie-talkie but I was like "whoa baby steps people".  Maybe next year.

4

Marvel Super Hero Squad - Wait maybe this was the tiny titans Marvel cartoon.  Ugh, I can't remember.  Too early.  Too much giggling.

Quick Draw - Scott Shaw, Sergio Aragones, and a cartoonist for Disney (who's name escapes me) sit and draw all the things their moderator tells them to.  It's hilarious.  There's different challenges but I'll forever remember Sergio Aragones telling the story of the Mad magazine staff all going to Haiti where they had only ONE subscriber who had just canceled his subscription.  So the entire staff on their work vacation went to his house to beg him to re-subscribe.  Then the same moderator hosted...

Cartoon Voices - Some classic cartoon voice actors came in to do a cold reading of an old Superman Radio Serial script.  The old gentleman was the king of ad-lib.  I swear it, and blew all the youngsters off the stage.

DC Green Lantern - Geoff Johns came to not answer ANY questions about the multi colored Lantern story line going on right now in the DCU.  These comic panels always stink because it's like "can you tell us about this?". "Buy the book".  Galina and I should have had a "drink when they don't answer a question" drinking game, but this panel might have killed us.

Spotlight Ray Bradbury - OMFG I got to operate a wheelchair life for a living legend and human treasure.  They played his interview with Walter Cronkite the night of the moon landing and he spoke about how we need to spend our money more intelligently when it comes to educating children.  It was the day before his 89th birthday and he was still a genius.  I'm going to gush to my grandchildren about standing next to him someday.

Human Target- You want to know what I remember about this panel?  The guy that played the principal on Boston Public remembered me from the time I was on the show with him and Jackie Earle Haley shook my hand.  Rorschach shook my hand and said "it's good seeing you again". Like we were old friends or something. I think he was feeling a little Red Head bonding was in order because I don't think I've ever met him in my entire life!

Vampire Diaries - If Dawson's Creek and Twilight had a bouncing brouting (brooding and pouting combined) baby suckhead it would be this TV show. I wasn't interested in much about this show other than the hassle the tween girls would be to keep from the stage.

Mythbusters - I didn't actually STAY for this panel.  I just stayed long enough to help a very thinly stretched and overwhelmed staff get this room sat down and settled before I ran out to get to the Masquerade on time.  As soon as I closed the room I ran to the office to find them more help and let Dawn know I was off for the day.

Masquerade - It's the masquerade.  If you don't know, I can't describe the joy this brings me every year.  I swear I'm going to host this some year.  Bring some Geek-Tastic/GeekRoundTable humor to the crowd.

Afterwords Matt was exhausted so he and Lee (and Lee's daughter Jessi) went back to sleep and Amanda and I met with Amy, Tommy and Rollin to get our drink on at La Puerta.  I remember before that, while trying to find something to do, we ran into Mikey at the Con suite (the only time I saw this all weekend) and a very drunk Tera.  Tera was another constant visitor to 6BCF that helped me keep my sanity.  It was another late night followed by yet another EARLY morning.

Sunday


I woke up and packed everything up so it could easily be put in the car and told Amanda to take an early shower so she didn't get caught outside the bathroom again and couldn't take one before we had to check out because I wouldn't be there to make sure things got done.  I headed to my meeting wearing my gray polo (yes!) and you know I was going to get in the room with my bestie.

Smallville - A young girl got up to ask her question to Tom Welling (Kent) and finished it "and if you could take a long time answering so you could keep looking at me that would be awesome".  He did.  So much so she started bawling in front of the HUGE PACKED CLOSED ROOM CROWD.  That was awesome.  I've never been a Smallville fan, but after seeing the footage of the Legion of Superheros and (KNEEL BEFORE) Zod I think I might actually give this show a second chance.

Supernatural - . . . yeah? I didn't think this show was still on. Shows what I know about TV.

The Ghost Whisperer - Though I have NO ZERO ZILCH interest in ever seeing this show, I will give the cast credit for being the most honest genuine cast of any show I saw all weekend.  The way they all made fun of each other and teased about acting quirks they all had really endeared them to me.  Yeah, even Jaime Kennedy (though he looked like he's been partying harder than.... Well me).

Then last minute additions were:

Green Lantern First Flight - Amanda, Matt, Lee, Corey and Jessi were all camped on the mini stage at the back and we watched most of this together.  It's entertaining, like with most of these things, good enough for me to watch the whole thing at con (with an enthusiastic audience) but I'll skip buying the DVD.

Jim Lee Drawing LIVE - Amy and I ditched out on our own room (which was like 1/3rd full as this panel wasn't in the program guide, just the daily newsletter) to go to . . .

Comic Con Talkback - We sat towards the back and giggled at the complaints people have as most of them are insane and invalid. Amy got upset about the guy who hinted that Comic Con should only be for those who can afford to pay outrageous prices for it.

Then it was one last department meeting.  I collected my freebies from the room of requirement earlier in the day so all we had to do was go get the car from Horton Plaza and drive home.  I think at some point on the ride home I fell asleep in the middle of a conversation with Matt.  It might have also been in the middle of a sentence.

Really I had the most amazing San Diego Comic Con experience in the decade and a half I've been attending.  Thank you's go out to:

Amanda - For running pointless errands for me and bringing me food and being patient with me and happy most of the weekend. THANK YOU BABY!

Matt - I'm nothing on stage without Matt, we're both funny without each other, but our wonder twin powers is where we really both shine.

Amy - My right hand, or I was her right hand.  Either way he had 6BCF on lockdown.  She taught me everything I know about being a pimp gray shirt and next year we're taking over Ballroom 20!  WOW!

Jesse and Ramona - Awesome awesome awesome!  I bitch a lot about what I missed this year, but I saw something even more special.  There will be more Klingons and Fan Films but your best friends only get married at Comic Con once (hopefully!).

Tommy - For stopping by to make sure the jokes stayed fresh and for keeping me in drinks at La Puerta. For peaking 2010 jokes, action figures, and for the AWESOME CON 09 we are going take over the world.

And lastly, for all the attendees who went to the office to compliment the work Amy and I did in 6BCF.  We tried really hard to make sure it stayed organized and the people who saw the hard work actually said something. THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment