Thursday, July 23, 2009

Geek-tastic Guide To Comic Con - Friday

The biggest geek event of the year is almost upon us.  Only a few moew days to go.



 

Friday at Comic Con is traditionally Star Wars Day.  That means there's a ton of different Star Wars panels going on this day covering everything from video games and books to the Clone Wars TV series and more.  If you're a big Star Wars fan (like me) and are willing to wait in line for hours to get into these super popular panels (unlike me), then you already know what you're going to be doing this day.  I however will not be going to any Star Wars panels and will be leaving that to other sites (namely starwars.com or theforce.net) to cover.

 

Also, both Friday and Saturday are generally the days when the biggest panels take place, so the smaller panels are fewer and farther between.  I've done my best though to find some hidden gems.  You can see the full Friday Schedule here, but here's the panels I think are most Interesting for Friday.

 

Friday


 

10:00am to 11:00am - Room 32AB - From Fan to Creator: Goal Setting for Creative Types

 

Perhaps this is just me, being the amateur nerd-blogger with delusions of grandeur that I am, but this panel sounds pretty interesting.  It's a goal setting workshop that's being put on by someone named Douglas Neff (never heard of the guy before) who is promising to dispense with good advice on how to get started working on your creative goals like writing screenplays or comic books or shooting independent films.  I'm always up for a little helpful advice.  You never know, something said in this panel could be that epiphany you've been looking for.

 

11:00am to 12:00pm - Room 32AB - Masquerade 101

 

For those who love their COSplay and either have participated in the Masquerade before, or are planning to do so in the future, this is the panel for you.  Here's where you'll get the low down on how the Masquerade works, a little bit of it's history and some costuming and presentation tips.  Also, it's most likely everyone in the room will be fellow COSplayers as well, so you're bound to find plenty of cool and friendly people to talk to in the room that share some of your interests.

 

1:30pm to 3:00pm - Room 8 - Legends of The Batman

 

Batman turns 70 years old this year.  In honor of this amazing anniversary, this panel is being held which features past Batman artists from the golden age of comics to talk about their experiences working on the Dark Knight's books.  Guests include Sheldon "Shelly" Moldoff, Jerry Robinson and Lew Sayre Schwartz.  If you're a fan of Batman and his history, or of Golden Age comics in general, this is something you're going to want to see.

 

2:30pm to 3:30pm - Room 3 - Building Tomorrow's Technology

 

This panel is all about discussing how technology is going to develop going forward.  It will look at how the existing limited availability of resources may affect how the cool sci-fi stuff we always dream about becoming true could actually become true.  One question I highly douby they'll cover though which I'm dying to know the answer to . . . when the hell am I going to get my Back To The Future hoverboard?  I've wanted one of those since I was a little kid damnit!

 

7:45pm - 8:45pm - Room 6A - Klingon Lifestyles Presentation

 

I've never been to a Klingon based panel before, and having gone to SDCC for as long as I have, I feel that is a travesty that must be remedied immediately.  I will most definitely be in attendance for this one.  According to the schedule, this panel will involve live actors in full Klingon costume acting out a play of some sort in which the crew of a Klingon vessel are involved in a first contact mission with a new alien race.  However, there's problems with these new aliens and there's political intruige in the form of a Klingon intelligence officer who's snooping around. 

 

This is a live action play that is basically a fan made Star Trek episode.  This panel is going to be pure gold and I wouldn't miss it for the world.  I can't wait to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment