Tuesday, August 4, 2009

In the BSG Mirror Universe, Everyone is Happy: Thank you BSG Orchestra

 

 

SPOILERS IN THIS POST ABOUT BSG FINALE

 

As a follow up to Patrick’s post about the BSG Orchestra’s performance, I would just like to remind him who made him go. This girl:

 

Yeah, that’s me the following day getting my ticket signed.

 

Bear McCreary has been attending Comic Con since at least 2006 (when they misspelled his name in the program: McCleary). Last year, he showed a previously-filmed, hilarious interview sequence with the cast of BSG. He told me it will be included in the DVD extras. At the BSG annual panels, the show’s science consultant, Kevin Grazier, also makes an appearance. I enjoy listening to these two talk about the show from their perspectives; their insights really add something to discussions traditionally made up of cast members and producers.

 

As far as the show’s details go, Pat said it all. However, I feel like I should quickly say something about what happened to me personally because as you may know, I have been saying “@#$% that show” regularly since the series finale.

 

When we were there, I felt we had entered a BSG "Mirror Universe." There we were, involved in an epic, intimate experience- a party- with the show’s cast and crew. Anders really didn’t fly into the sun; he was standing right next to me on the floor, rocking out with the rest of us. Adama really didn’t become a sad, lonely hermit; he came alive once more and chanted “so say we all” to a crowd of screaming people. And Tigh didn’t really end up with Ellen; he was onstage double-fisting spilling beer. The music, along with the actors’ appearances, helped me remember all those characters I had watched and cared about for so long. I also felt a deeper appreciation for the “specialness” of BSG as I saw all these elements of the TV show come together in front of me. These people really do seem like family for one another, and I think that the acting, the music and the writing were so phenomenal because this group cared about the show as much as we do. 

 

While all other musical performances I see live will probably seem inferior to the orchestra’s, I can also say that the magic transcended the score, and the evening became a healing experience for me. I came to terms with the show. Battlestar, I forgive you for your let-down ending. In fact, as soon as I stepped out of the House of Blues, I couldn't remember ever being disappointed at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment