Thursday, December 24, 2009

Shy-Guys Really Freak Me Out

z-mario

 

I've played Super Mario Brothers 2 for more hours than I can count, and while I've always seen the game as sort of a giant acid trip what with the flying face dudes and the ninja star guys and the throwing of perfectly good turnips at your enemies, it never really dawned on me before just how bizarre and frightening that world must look to Mario and Luigi.  This painting does an excellent job though of expressing just how pants-wettingly horrified the Mario Brothers must have been while trying to stop King Wart.

 

Just look at how creepy the Shy Guys are here.  They're like little versions of Death with tattered red robes on and scary "Eyes Wide Shut" orgy masks on.  And are those claws they have?  It sure looks like it to me.  Take a closer look at the one that is falling.  I'm pretty sure if he had the chance, he'd stab your eyes out with his pointy little fingers.  If I was the Mario Brothers, I'd be pulling vegetables out of the ground too and chucking them at the little freaky bastards.  Anything that would keep them away from me.  It all makes sense now.  Goombas you can squish by jumping on them because they're soft and squishy and have no hands.  Shy Guys though probably have little razor sharp claws that would cut Mario's legs up if he tried to stomp on them.  In that case, throwing foodstuffs is a totally valid alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment