Monday, December 28, 2009

The Crow: A Reboot.

crow_ver2


The year was 1994. I remember it vividly because it is the year I graduated high school and would begin my college adventures, it was the year OJ Simpson allegedly committed murder and took his little drive down the freeway and it was a also the year one of my favorite movies and what would become an outright obsession was released: The Crow.

A brief little backstory...I had been in love with Brandon Lee for a few years at this point. Not because of his extraordinary acting chops, but because I was a teenage girl at the time with raging hormones and he was HOT! He was also the son of Bruce Lee and due to my love of martial arts movies, well, that was an extra added bonus. I remember the day he died shooting Alex Proyas' version of The Crow. I was walking through my living room where my grandma was watching one of those cheesy entertainment news shows and they were talking about how Brandon Lee had been rushed to the hospital after an on site accident and then a few moments later they confirmed that he had died. I remember running into my bedroom and calling the one friend who always understood my Brandon Lee obsession and telling her the shocking news! Needless to say I was waiting anxiously from that moment on for The Crow to hit theaters.

It is no surprise that it became one of my favorite movies. At that point in my life I was a bit goth and lets face it, this movie has goth written all over it. To this day I can quote almost every line and I can tell you the scenes that Brandon Lee is actually in or when they had to use a stand in and some clever CGI to mask the fact that it wasn't Lee.

As much as I love The Crow, I will also be the first to admit that this movie was not the best written or best acted movie I had ever seen. It wasn't going to win any Academy Awards. But, based on a comic book, of the same name, it had just the right feel and and the addition of an on set tragedy to become the cult hit that it did. Who doesn't love a story of a love that never dies and a need for vengeance so powerful that it would bring someone back from the dead to avenge that lost love? And even the comic book, written by James O'Barr, was written out of tragedy and a need to put into words the grief that one feels when a love one dies, especially if they die unnecessarily.

Which brings me to the point of the post. Sometime ago I heard that they were going to do another Crow movie. Not a sequel, but a re-imagining of the first film. I haven't posted on it sooner because frankly I didn't want to believe it. My first reaction is what most die-hard Crow fans first reactions were...how dare they!? Then my senses kicked in and I decided to do a bit of research before called foul.

So far there hasn't really been much information about the film. as it is is still waiting for the official greenlight, so things are a bit hush-hush. It is going to be written and directed by League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Blade director, Stephen Norrington and produced by Ryan Kavanaugh. The script supposedly has been receiving good reviews, which is always promising. According to imdb.com, a 2011 release date is what they are striving for. Kavanaugh has stated that this film is not a direct remake, but a "relaunch of the franchise" and there is speculation as to whether they are even going to use the character of Eric Draven, although more recent articles have claimed that they are looking for an actor to play this character or at the very least an Eric Draven like character and as Kavanaugh puts it the actor will be someone we have heard of.

As it stand right now I have mixed feeling about the whole situation. After a much beloved movie was followed by a smattering of bad sequels and a mediocre at best television show, part of me just wonders why they don't leave well enough alone. It is no secret that Hollywood is running out of ideas and that they are remaking anything and everything that they think will make a buck. But, this film is barely 16 years old. Shouldn't it have a chance to age a bit more before they inflict their vision upon it? However, I am promising to defer judgment until I actually see a finished product. If it is a good script and they can make it into a good movie I may have room in my heart for two Crow movies. Plus, I love a good goth movie and in order to honor both the original Crow and to honor Brandon Lee's memory, all I can say is it better be a damn good movie!.

As an interesting little sidenote...The Crow comic book turned 20 years old this year.

(via io9.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment