Friday, December 18, 2009

Noyes' Ten Best Albums of the 2000's.

Okay, so this decade is coming to and end. Fuck, it feels like it just started really. But at the same time a whole hell of a lot has happened, both good and bad. But we're not here to talk politics or about my personal life. We're here today to talk music.

 

I was flipping through Rolling Stones top ten 50 albums of the decade and it really started to piss me off. LCD Soundsystem number 12? Really? Bright Eyes number 50? You've got to be fucking kidding me. A lot of albums on their list seemed either stupid to me or perhaps a little too obvious, or perhaps I just hate most popular music out there these days.

 

Well I decided to make my own list. (yes, three of my choices were also on Rolling Stones list, at least they got some things right).

 

This was a really hard list to put together. I wanted to pick my favorite albums, but I also didn’t want it to be nothing but Jack White records which it easily could have been. So I tried to limit each artist to one album, however most these bands easily could have had multiple albums on the list. But that would get a little boring wouldn’t it.

 

Some of these bands you may not be totally familiar with. Hopefully this list will open you up to some music you haven't heard before.

 

So here it is, without further ado, my Top Ten Albums of the 2000's. I honestly couldn't pick any album to be better than any other I (it was hard enough getting it down to ten!) so I list them here in chronological order. If you don't like that, then suck it!

 
Morphine - The Night
Morphine - The Night (2000)

 



 

Morphine was one of the many great bands I discovered while in college. But it was The Night that made them one of my all time favorite bands. This album so perfectly embodies sadness I can't even describe it. Just take a listen to the title track above. It's utterly beautiful and heartbreaking. And the really sad thing is front man, Mark Sandman, died on stage before this album was released. I can only imagine where the band would have gone from here.

Radiohead - Kid A
Radiohead - Kid A (2000)

 



 

Radiohead has come a really long way from their Creep days. While OK Computer really showed the world how much they were changing (and finally won me over as a fan) It was Kid A that really broke the mold. I know a lot of people who hate this album because it's so electronic sounding, but I love it.

Ween - White Pepper
Ween - White Pepper (2000)

 



 

Ween is a band that has matured wonderfully over the years while still maintaining their silly sense of humor that makes them so lovable. White Pepper was a huge leap forward in the maturity of their sound. It's a wonderful pop album with that Ween twist that sets it apart. This is probably their most accessible album as well, for people who aren't familiar with their stuff.

 

White Stripes - White Blood Cells
White Stripes - White Blood Cells (2001)

 



 

My wife bought this album when it was first released but after I heard it, it rarely left my car. This is the album that introduced me (and most the rest of the world) to the White Stripes (even though it was their third album). Just when I thought rock n' roll was dead Jack White proved me wrong and has continued to do so for the last ten years. Whenever I get angry at all the shitty music that is polluting the youth of today, I just put on a White Stripes record and all is well.

 

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (2002)

 



 

The Flaming Lips have been around since the early 80's. They had a hit in the 90's with "She Don't Use Jelly" and their 99 album The Soft Bulletin was a critics darling. However it wasn't until this album that I became utterly obsessed. Wayne Coyne is totally insane and this album is a sheer masterpiece that has been born from that madness. I love many of their albums now (not the new one sadly) but this one will always be their best.

 

Tom Waits - Real Gone
Tom Waits - Real Gone (2004)

 



 

Tom Waits is the kind of guy that could fart on a snare drum and I'd probably buy it and pronounce its genius. I love this guy. I love his gravely carnival barker sounding voice. I love his bizarre lyrics. And I love his jazz/lounge/blues/whatever musical style. You never really know what you're going to get from Mr. Waits with a new album, but Real Gone is an amazing album with not one bad song to speak of on it.

 

Danger Doom - The Mask And The Mouse
Danger Doom - The Mask And The Mouse (2005)

 



 

Who knew rap and cartoons could go together so amazingly? Well apparently Danger Mouse and MF Doom knew, because they put their hip-hop genius together with the misfits of Adult Swim and delivered easily my favorite rap album of all time. MF Doom has an amazing voice and wonderful rhyme style that is unlike anyone I've ever heard. I've since gotten other MF Doom albums and while most of them are really good, they all pale in comparison to the brilliance that is The Mask And The Mouse.

 

The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers (2006)
The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers (2006)

 



 

Jack White decided it was time to see what he would sound like with a full backing band and not just his ex-wife on drums. With that we get The Raconteurs who have now put out two fantastic albums. To hear White's genius (gee, I seem to be using that word a lot!) with a full band behind him is a truly wonderful thing and I look forward to hearing more of it in the future.

 

Wolfmother - Wolfmother (2006)
Wolfmother - Wolfmother (2006)

 



 

Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath might not be making classic albums anymore, but luckily they had an Australian love child and named it Wolfmother. This band combines the greatness of those two classic bands and makes it into something all their own. It was love at first hear with these guys for me. I've seen these guys live and they put on an amazing show to boot. Their new album is really good to.

The Dead Weather - Horehound (2009)
The Dead Weather - Horehound (2009)

 



 

The ever-prolific Jack White got himself another band. (see why I didn't but another other White Stripes albums on here?) But this time he sat himself at the drums and gave the front man job to a chick. Specifically speaking Alison Mosshart of The Kills. And her vocal style works perfectly with Jacks. "Cut Like A Buffalo" is quickly becoming one of my favorite songs ever. And the video above for "Treat Me Like My Mother" is easily the best of the year.

 

Honorable mentions:

Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures (2009)
Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures (2009)

 



 

This is a really new album that I haven't fully been able to digest yet, but it's quickly growing on me. Dave Grohl, John Paul Jones and Josh Homme are amazing together. And I don’t even really like Queens Of The Stone Age all that much, but when pared with these two Homme is pretty good.

The Residents - Demons Dance Alone (2002)
The Residents - Demons Dance Alone (2002)

 



 

The Residents are one of my all time favorite bands and I like to take any opportunity to expose them to new people. This is easily their most accessible album. Some of their albums take multiple listenings to get into, but I dug this one right away. Duck Stab from 1978 is also an amazing album. I really have Primus to thank for getting me into this band because they covered a couple of their tunes and I had to hear the originals. So thank you Les Claypool.

 

Well there you have it. The Ten (…twelve…) best albums of the last decade. I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with some of the choices on this list, but to Hell with them. This is MY list. Let them make there own damn list!

 

Well, this has been Mike Noyes. I hope you all had a great decade and look out for 2012!


No comments:

Post a Comment