Thursday, August 4, 2011

Hey Everyone, Look! It's The New Superman!


Today, Warner Bros. released the first official picture of Henry Cavill as Superman in the upcoming new Supes film that is currently in production and which is being directed by Zack Snyder. If you'd like to see a bigger version of the pic, you can do so by going here.

I have mixed feelings about this pic. On the plus side, I really like how the cape looks. Obviously they didn't venture too far from the classic look of the costume, which is nice. Someone should tell the guys in charge of the DC Comics reboot that they need to be more like this and less like this.

On the downside though, what's up with that weird texture on the suit? Are Superman and Spider-man shopping from the same fabrics store now? Why is every superhero costume these days coming with a funky fabric texture? I don't get it. What's wrong with sleek, smooth material?

And finally, what's with the hair? I think my friend Wesley Strawther said it best this morning when I heard him say, "Nice Hair Ron Burgundy. You stay classy Metropolis!"

Now, mind you. My cynicism here is no indication on whether I will like the final film or not. I clearly remember being all pissed off when the first promo pics for the new Star Trek movie came out because they were super shiny and photoshopped to hell. In the end though, I loved that film a lot. The same could happen here, or maybe it won't. What I'm trying to say is, one heavily touched up promo pic does not necessarily a bad film make. I'll reserve my final judgement, as always, until I've seen the whole film.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, when I first saw the pic of the new suit, I thought: "SCALES!?! What is this Aquaman?"

    Is this just so that the suit can breath, or what? I, like you, am not understanding the designer's reasoning behind this new trend of fabric with the super hero costumes. Let's just hope that they don't go stupid like the suit designs from Batman & Robin.

    Anyway, I'm hoping for good things with this reboot.

    ReplyDelete