Monday, September 1, 2008

New Geek DVD Day - 09/02/08



 

The Good:  Transformers on Blu-ray

 

Why it's good:  Transformers wasn't great, let's be honest.  It wasn't horrible though.  It got the basics right.  Optimus Prime is fucking awesome, Megatron is the bad guy, they fight a lot,  annoying humans get caught up in the conflict.  All of it's there.  But it was directed by Michael Bay, which means that the story is fairly bad, but it has lots of pretty explosions.  For all that he does wrong, Bay is good at making things go boom.  So seeing Transformers in HD is really the best way to see it.  Oh, and I guess you get to see Bumblebee pee on a guy in HD too, if you're into that sort of thing.

 

 

 

The Badass:  The Office (Seasons One through Four)

 

Why it's badass:  When I first heard that they were making an American version of the British TV Series The Office, I was at first incredibly skeptical.  I thought they were going to take something incredible and turn it into a typically crappy US sitcom.  I am very glad to say I was wrong.  What Steve Carrell and his fellow castmates have created is nothing short of pure comedic genius.  The show took what made the original series great and expanded on it to create something both unique and hilarious.  To anyone who has ever worked in an office, the show rings so true it's scary.  Even those who have never lived in a cubicle can't help but laugh at the antics of Jim and Dwight.

 



 

The Ugly:  The Next Avengers - Heroes of Tomorrow

 

Why it's ugly:  This falls into the ugly category because everything I've seen thus far of this straight-to-DVD release makes me believe it's going to be really shitty.  It's the future, the avengers are dead (except for Tony Stark) and Ultron is wreaking havoc upon the world.  Only the kids of the original Avengers can stop him.  Sure, the real Avengers couldn't find a way to stop him, but now these kids will figure out a way.  Uh huh, right.  Admittedly, I haven't seen the movie yet so I could be wrong, but my gut instinct is telling me this will only be enjoyed by those under the age of 10.  If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it, but I doubt I will be.

1 comment:

  1. Pat, I was at the screening of Next Avengers at Comic-Con and I will have to say I throughly enjoyed it. I was completely expecting it to be a turd and I was so pleased to find that I really enjoyed the film. One of the things I love about the convention over the 15 years I have been attending is the ability to screen films before they are released. Quite often I will attend certain screenings just to give them a chance. The Hulk vs. Wolverine screening was incredible. I loved that film like no other. I planned upon seeing the Next Avengers because I thought "hey, free movie...why not?" But honestly the only reason I think I even ended up staying for it was that it bridged the gap between two better panels. The Next Avengers was pretty child-like and I do believe this was on purpose, but at the same time if you could sit through it, the adult geek moments made it all worth-while. It was one of those animated features that blended child and adult comic geekdom in an enjoyable fashion. Honestly I'm consistently broke as a joke so buying tons of DVD's has become something of a past time. It's for this reason I'll probably never buy this DVD but if someone ever got it for me as a present I'd be genuinely stoked. I don't regret the hour and change I spent watching it. It was good animated, fun geekery.

    ReplyDelete