Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I Have Mixed Feelings About Another Live Action TMNT Movie



 

According to Comingsoon.net, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman is talking about making another Turtles movie, and no, he's not talking about a sequel to the incredibly entertaining CG animated movie that came out a while back.

 
Yes, it is true. Although the CGI film did well enough to warrent a sequel, there has been much talk between Imagi and Warners to do a better "re-invention" (newest Hollywood buzzword) of the TMNT's, in a live action film--like what was done with Batman. Back to basics, back to the origin and the intro of the Shredder, etc...there have been talks, trips to Northampton to talk to Mr Laird, and discussions with the original "first" TMNT film director Steve Barron to come back and do it right--but no official word yet...will keep you posted.

 

Am I alone here in being conflicted about this news?  On the one hand, I love the TMNT's.  I think the first live action movie was great for it's time, but it's really dated nowadays.  On the other hand, I loved the CG animated movie and thought it was really well done.  I'm actually sad that it sounds like we won't be getting another one of those to enjoy.

 

And bringing back the original live action director may sound like a good idea because the original film was nice and dark, but let us not forget that his decisions also gave us things like the Turtle Power theme song and kid street punks on skateboards.  He's no Chris Nolan. 

 

Which brings me to my next point.  All I've been hearing from hollywood lately is how every big franchise is about to get some big, darker reboot, a la Dark Knight.  This is starting to bother me.  Not every franchise out there needs a big and darker reboot.  Darker doesn't work for everyone.  But what with the Dark Knight making $500 million at the box office, hollywood is suddenly all about the dark and gritty reboot.  Now even bright and happy characters like Superman are dealing with Rumors of a dark reimagining.

 

I know that the Turtles originally were dark.  I read and loved those comics as a kid, and I was stoked that the first live action film was basically the first 10 issues or so of the comic, but let us not forget that parents groups complained to high hell about how dark and violent it was.  Which subsequently led to the super campy sequel. 

 

TMNT has been marketed to little kids for 20 or so years now.  Trying to take it back to its dark comic roots now, while admirable, I think may fail.  And let's not even mention how guys in rubber suits always looked a little akward. 

 

I'll try to remain happy though that new Turtles projects are out there.  I'm just sad it's not another CG animated movie.  That last one rocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment