Thursday, June 3, 2010

Those Avengers Are Pretty Damned Stylish

Today has been a field day for fantastic superhero fashion. Someone over at Marvel's film division has leaked pics and artwork detailing not just one, but two superhero costumes from Marvel's next two big comic book blockbusters, Captain America and Thor. First up is the World War II veteran himself, Captain America.

Not too shabby, in my personal opinion. It's definitely more inspired by the militaristic look of Cap's outfit from the Ultimates series than his usual Marvel look, but that's ok with me. I actually think Cap's outfit should look like something he can take into combat. He is a soldier after all. I actually think this looks like a bit of a paratrooper outfit too with those suspender looking things and that helmet. And the shield! Thank god the shield hasn't been touched at all. If there's absolutely positively one thing about Captain America's outfit that you can't change, it's his shield. It's iconic. I'm glad to see that Marvel kept it as it is for the movie.

There's no word yet on if this is the outfit he'll wear for the whole film, or if this is something he either wears only in the past, or gets when he's thawed out in the present. Personally, I'd dig it if this was his updated outfit that he gets once he's in the present. For his actual WWII outfit, I'd love to see a few scenes with Captain America's original shield, even if it's only for a scene or two.

And then there's the Norse thunder god himself, Thor.

We'd already seen a pic of Chris Hemsworth as Thor, but that was only a partial shot. This is the first full "pic" of Thor in his costume. I put quotation marks around the word pic there because this thing is so heavily photoshopped, I'm not sure if it actually qualifies as a real picture anymore. Regardless though, it looks pretty sweet if you ask me. He's got the cape, the hammer, the random little circle things on his chest whose purpose I've never understood. He's definitely Thor alright.

Many thanks go to Robert Saucedo from Inside Pulse for making that truly kickass collage of Cap and Thor with Iron Man that I put at the top of this article. I am seriously having a giant nerdgasm everytime I look at the damn thing. It's just too damned cool. I want to see the Avengers film, and I want to see it now. The summer of 2012 is too far away. Curse you time, why can't you move faster.

One final thought, that pic of Thor is just begging to be photoshopped into a beer advertisment. If I don't see a version of that pic online in the next few days with Thor holding out a big ass bottle of ale with a word bubble of him saying, "By Odin's Beard! That's some great beer!", I'm going to be highly disappointed by all of nerd-kind.

Do you hear me out there across the internets? I've thrown down a challenge. I wanna see that pic. Don't disappoint me!

No comments:

Post a Comment