Saturday, June 19, 2010

Space Prom

22141_101897256507734_100000623797560_61974_6671523_n by geek.tastic.

By Johann Joseph

As costume themed parties go, everything starts in the parking lot. You can begin to see who went all out with their costumes, who barely put up the ante, and who came to just view it all. But for a space theme, it didn't seem to stop many people from attempting to enjoy this once a year event.

The Back To The Grind of Riverside throws a Prom themed event every Spring, this year was just the best time for any Sci-Fi fan

As soon as I walked in my eyes were greeted with aluminum foil, sparkly sequenced outfits and odd shaped "armor". My costume of Ronald Ray Gun", I will admit, shamed the well thought out costumes of the crowd.

Live bands played inside and sometimes they even came outside to play. Some bandmates dressed as aliens, or were in full suits of gray. There was a display of laser guns on the wall and a "Space Lounge" for techno music down stairs.

I walked up to a few people just to ask them what the theme of their costume was.I got a quote of "A Sci-Fi movie from the 1940's" and a part of my mind got blown. Some people actually had this idea stored in the back of their heads and this Prom gave the opportunity to let their creativity out.

Of course, what didn't need explaining were the Star Wars and Star Trek themed outfits. Some of my personal favorites were a Robotech themed group and Bret from Flight Of The Conchords in his Daft Punk costume.

That was all before 11pm. Then, in walked Sinestro. That's right! The Fear monger showed up!

I have to admit that the written word really cannot compare to seeing these things, which is why it was a great thing that the Space Prom even provided a photographer! We took our Prom photos, as did everyone in attendance. For your visual pleasure, here are some of the photos I took, and some from the Prom group archive.

32197_119639221400204_100000623797560_182455_8071386_n by geek.tastic.

014 by geek.tastic.

024 by geek.tastic.

To see a my set of photos from the event, you can find them at the Geek-tastic Flickr page HERE.

These are only some of the 400+ photos that were taken from the Prom book. To see them all, check them out on their Facebook page

I can't wait to see what next year will hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment