Thursday, June 10, 2010

Heartless - A Steampunk Tin Man Short Film

Forget the SyFy channel's completely horrible Tin Man mini series. I'd much rather watch this version of the Tin Man much more.

Heartless is a 22 minute short film that details the backstory of the famous Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz books, as it was originally written by Frank L. Baum. I don't think I've ever seen the story of Nick Chopper so accurately told in film before. It's a sad story, to be sure. Tragic is probably a better word, but the way the tale is told here is simply beautiful. Then top it off with some great steampunk elements and the film becomes just about perfect.

It does start a little slow and cheesy, I'll admit that. Give it a few minutes though. It won't disappoint, I promise. The bits near the end are gorgeous. I hope these filmmakers decide to make backstories for the rest of the Wizard of Oz cast too. If these guys were to ever make a full-on Wizard of Oz remake, I'd watch it in a second.

If you'd like to download a copy of the song in this film, or the soundtrack, you can find links for both here.

No comments:

Post a Comment