Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Coolest Beer I'll Never Get To Drink


As I've mentioned on Geek-tastic before, I'm a huge fan of professional wrestling and have been since I was a little kid. This love of wrestling isn't just for the WWE though. I'm a fan of wrestling in all of it's forms, including classic Mexican style Lucha Libre wrestling where the competitors wear masks and portray characters like El Santo or The Blue Demon, who can span across multiple generations of fans.

I'm sure you are also aware that I'm a pretty big fan of drinking (hence the Friday Happy Hour posts). So you can imagine how excited I got when I saw the above picture for the first time. A line of beers based on famous Luchadors? Yes please!!!

Unfortunately for me, the beers don't actually exist. This amazing idea is simply a graphic design project that was put together by a brilliant designer named Jose Guizar.

I created the concept, brand, and designed the identity and packaging for this premium Mexican craft beer. The brand's identity is inspired by the golden era of lucha in the 1950's, when movie heroes were not Superman or the X Men, but El Santo and his wingmen, fighting creepy monsters on a silver '52 Alfa Romeo with surf music in the background.
The variety of styles are named after fictional characters also inspired by the 50's lucha style; Black King (Imperial Stout), Blond Gomez (Lager) and The Vampire's Son (Red Ale).

If there are any beer making entrepreneurs out there, please contact Mr. Guizar ASAP and work with him to get this beer line made for real. I would definitely be a big fan, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want to drink these.

Thanks go to my good friend Robert Blumel for pointing this one out to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment