Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Return To Wonder Con

Wonder Con Floor 2009 by geek.tastic.

Hey there folks! I know I haven't mentioned it before now, but just so you know, I'm going to be attending Wonder Con up in San Francisco this weekend. If you haven't heard of Wonder Con before, it's basically the smaller brother of the San Diego Comic Con. In fact, Wonder Con is even put on by the same folks who do the SD Con, Comic Con International. Don't let the fact that this con isn't as big as SD's behemoth fool you though. Wonder Con is still plenty big on its own, and is packing a pretty powerful lineup of geeky newsworthy greatness.

Think of it like this. If the San Diego Comic Con is like the Oscars of comic conventions, Wonder Con is like the Golden Globes.

With that said, I'm going to sadly be missing the first day of the Con on Friday, but I will definitely be reporting on all the good stuff that goes down on Saturday and Sunday. In fact, I've even managed to score a press pass to the event which seems to be granting me invitations to all sorts of press-only goodness. It's almost like I'm a real reporter now or something.

This of course means that I'll be having to step up my game in regards to coverage this year. To that effect, I'm going to be live tweeting all weekend long. If you'd like to get random news bits and geeky anecdotes from this weekend's con, be sure to follow or official Geek-tastic Twitter account. You can find a link to our Twitter feed in our social media links to the right of this post.

Speaking of those links to the right, you may notice that I've finally gotten around to adding a direct link to Geek-tastic's flickr account there as well. Be sure to check that out this weekend too, as I'll be adding a new set of Wonder Con pics there as soon as I can. This will most likely be sometime on Saturday, although I'm not sure exactly when. I wish I could be more specific on that, but what with the constant running around at the con all day, the questionable and hard to find free internet connections available in downtown SF, and the guaranteed binge drinking that will be taking place at the local bars in the evenings, it's kind of impossible to pin down exactly when the pics will go up. I'll try to get them up as soon as I can though.

I'd also like to mention that I recently acquired a brand new digital camera, so all of the new pics I will be taking from this time forward will be in 12.1 megapixel awesomeness. Of course, that still won't make up for my complete amateur level photography skills, but i've been working on those too. Just be patient with me. I'm working hard to bring you better quality photos of all the geeky greatness that I report on.

If you happen to find yourself in the San Francisco area this weekend and you'd like to share a tasty beverage with (aka "buy a drink for") me, then drop me a line. I'd love to meet up with you. Message me over twitter or email me directly (geek.tastic@yahoo.com) and I'll let you know where I'll be and when. It would be totally awesome if we could coordinate an impromptu gathering of Geek-tastic readers at the con. I hope to hear from you.

I think that's all for now. If you'd like to check out my coverage of last year's Wonder Con, you can find the articles here:

Part 1 / Part 2 / Part 3

Oh, and here's last year's flickr set of Wonder Con photos as well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment