Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Her Universe


By Christina Castillo

Every year one of my biggest complaints at San Diego Comic Con besides the massive crowds , long lines and for the second year in a row I missed the Big Bang Theory panel is the lack of good fitting female t-shirts. Now don’t get me wrong, there are a ton more than there ever used to be and StylinOnline.com has a vast array of female styles with their four locations on the Comic Con floor. However, what I have come to find is that when I go to some of the other vendors, usually some of the smaller vendors, all of the t-shirts with the designs I want do not have female counterparts. Now they usually have a tiny selection, so they don’t completely leave us females out but I cannot tell you how many times a vendor lost out on my money because they didn’t include girl styles. I do admit that there were a few t-shirts that were just too awesome to pass up, so I ended up getting them anyway, but therein lies my frustration.

So that is why I was so excited to stumble upon Her Universe by complete accident as I was walking the Comic Con floor. Started by Ashley Eckstein, voice of Ahsoka Tano in Star Wars: The Clone Wars and The Araca Group, it is a site geared towards creating merchandise for the female sci-fi/fantasy fan, because if SDCC has taught us anything through the years it is that we do exist! Now they are just starting out so the selection of merchandise is slim at the moment, but they were lucky enough to get a license to create Star Wars inspired designs and it sounds like they are planning to acquire other license agreements down the line and expand and believe me I will be checking the site frequently so I can spend more of my hard earned money on a worthy cause!

So, if you are a geek girl that appreciates apparel made just for us or if you want to get an awesome gift for the geek girl in your life or if you just like to support us geek girls in the pursuit of all things geek I urge you to check out Her Universe both online and on the convention floor. Because come on…who can resist a sexy looking geek girl?! Her Universe will be attending Star Wars Celebration V, Chicago Comic Con and Dragon Con in the coming months and I am sure we will probably see them at next year’s WonderCon and in San Diego. Can’t wait!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love Her Universe! The shirts are stylish and comfortable. To put icing on the cake Ashley is a wonderful person and I had the chance to talk to her at Comic Con.

    ReplyDelete