Saturday, July 31, 2010

Pat's Adventures At Comic Con 2010 - Part Two

IMG_0703 by geek.tastic.

Panels are a huge part of the Con experience, I won’t deny that. Unfortunately, the only panels I wanted to go to this year that weren’t being put on by me or my friends were all big panels in the big rooms. They were the kind you had to camp out for hours in advance in order to see. I just don’t have that kind of patience, especially during Con when there are a million cool and nerdy things happening every second for four days straight.

With that said though, it’s not like I didn’t hit any panels at all. As I said in part one of my adventures, I did attend the Fan’s Guide To Comic Con. Thursday night was panel #2. The GeekRoundTable/Geek-tastic Live panel Panel.

IMG_0717 by geek.tastic.

Check out the bottom of that room program. That’s me! And if you’re wondering, yes we are nighttime programming because we are just too sexy to be able to have a panel during the day. Honestly though, all of this is due to the good graces of Mr. Ned Cato Jr. from the GeekRoundTable. He didn’t have to add me to the program guide name. It’s his panel really. I’m just the lucky sap that he was kind enough to include. Thank you Ned. It was really awesome seeing my site’s name pop up in the program guide.

As for the Panel itself, we actually had something solid to present this year. We brought along a copy of Matt & Wes vs. The Zombie Apocalypse to screen for the live audience, and thanks to the awesomeness of Jeromy and Zach Ball (aka The Bloodshed Brothers), we even recorded the panel this year. Well, the first part of it at least. Enjoy!

If you’d like to see part two, go HERE.

After the panel ended, I was exhausted, so I hopped on the trolley and headed back to my friend’s house for the night. The next day though, I was up bright and early and was back on the floor for another full day of wandering the hall. Friday was a little busier than Thursday had been, but that didn’t stop me from finding some really cool things on the floor. Here’s some of my favorite stuff.

IMG_0748 by geek.tastic.

IMG_0742 by geek.tastic.

IMG_0780 by geek.tastic.

IMG_0783 by geek.tastic.

IMG_0721 by geek.tastic.

That last one I saw on my way out to lunch on Friday, and it suddenly gave me pause. “The Umbrella Corporation is sponsoring Comic Con?” I thought. “Uh oh. That’s not good. That means a T-Virus outbreak can’t be too far off.” I promptly left the building at this point and didn’t return until I had inoculated myself with tasty food and booze.

On my way back from lunch, I decided to make a small side trek to one of the hotels next to the convention center. They had these huge signs up advertising something called The Hub, and I was curious as to what it was. I followed the signs and suddenly found myself in a large hotel ballroom filled with a ton of children show stuff.

IMG_0765 by geek.tastic.

It was cool children show stuff though. They had a big display for Fraggle Rock as well as a giant head & hand of Optimus prime where you could take sweet pictures like this.

Hands down though, the single coolest thing at The Hub (and possibly my biggest geek out moment at Con) was getting to join an evil terrorist organization, determined to rule the world. I am speaking, of course, of Cobra.

IMG_0767 by geek.tastic.

This was actually so awesome, I’m writing a separate post about it. More on this later.

After leaving the Hub, I headed back to the floor where I wandered some more. I bought some comics (Walking Dead and Scott Pilgrim mainly), and some other stuff. Along the way I found this really awesome shirt on the sales floor.

IMG_0714 by geek.tastic.

Ha! That’s right. Suck it Browncoats. Starfleet always gets the flyest of the bitches. Everyone knows that.

Speaking of Starfleet. As Friday came to a close, I did finally hit up one last panel. The Klingon Lifestyles panel. I’d been hearing from friends for years that this was a “Must See” panel, but somehow I had never managed to actually get to see it before, which is really strange considering what a huge Star Trek fan I am. This year though, I made damn sure I was there for it.

If you’ve never seen the Klingon Lifestyles panel before, let me explain a little. Basically, a bunch of really, really big Star Trek fans get dressed up and put on a 30 to 40 minute live stage play for the audience. It’s fully scripted, and you can tell they’ve been practicing this for weeks if not months ahead of time. Each year, the show is different, but the stories generally follow the same group of Klingons as they wander about the galaxy and get into all sorts of mischief.

This year’s show was a murder mystery. An ambassador had been killed right before trade negotiations were set to begin on a remote station between the Klingons and the Federation. One of the Klingons had been framed for the murder, and Starfleet begins an investigation.

IMG_0797 by geek.tastic.

IMG_0800 by geek.tastic.

IMG_0805 by geek.tastic.

What ensued was pure hilariousness. A scheming con man and his Ferengi mate show up, a red shirt is killed (and briefly turned into a zombie), a Bat’leh battle occurs, and a Vulcan is found to actually be a Romulan spy (damned Romulan spies). The mystery is eventually solved, thanks to the use of giant Clue board game cards detailing who committed themurder, where, and with what weapon. It’s a good thing someone found that giant packet sitting around, otherwise this mystery may never have been solved.

The Klingon Lifestyles panel brought my Friday to a close, so once again I headed back to my friend’s house for some much needed sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment